This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5387 / 54°32'19"N
Longitude: -1.9282 / 1°55'41"W
OS Eastings: 404743
OS Northings: 515936
OS Grid: NZ047159
Mapcode National: GBR GHZY.BS
Mapcode Global: WHB4L.C51X
Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 28 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1310294
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111759
Location: Startforth, County Durham, DL12
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Startforth
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
NZ 0415 STARTFORTH HIGH STARTFORTH
12/168 Church of
Parish Church, 1863 by J. & W. Hay of Liverpool,replacing medieval building.
Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings; graduated Lakeland slate roof with
ornamental purple tile cresting. West tower, 3-bay aisleless nave with south
porch, chancel with south organ chamber and north vestry. Free late C13
Chamfered plinths, moulded sill string. Tower has big diagonal stepped
buttresses and south-east stair turret, semi-octagonal in upper stages.
Boarded west double doors in moulded arch with jamb shafts, under 2-light
window; smaller trefoil-headed windows on north and to stair. Moulded string
and set-back below belfry with stepped lancets under truncated gables.
3-stage broach spire with symbols of evangelists as gargoyles at each corner
of base, moulded strings and gabled lucarnes; wrought-iron finial cross.
Porch has double-chamfered arch and spheric triangle window on each side;
stone benches, Minton-tiled floor and scissor-braced roof. Nave has stepped
buttresses and trefoil-headed lights, mostly paired, each with pierced trefoil
above. Small trefoil window in east gable peak and 2 small gabled dormers
with trefoil-headed windows and finials, on each roof slope. Organ chamber
and chancel have similar windows. East end has diagonal buttresses and
3-light window . Head stops to hoodmoulds. Coped gables on moulded kneelers;
Interior: Plastered. Tower has double-chamfered arch to renewed west
gallery. Moulded chancel arch on keeled responds; chamfered organ chamber
arch. Carved stone pulpit. Tiled sanctuary with panelled stone and marble
reredos. Nave roof with scissor-braced trusses on head corbels alternating
with arch-braced collar-beam trusses; panelled-wagon roof to chancel.
Octagonal limestone font with shields, 2 with letters R and E (perhaps for
Robert Ellerton, abbot of Egglestone 1476-95) and one with RK monogram
probably for King Richard III (similar coeval font in Barnard Castle parish
church). Incised slab to Thomas and Alice Blande c.1390 beneath altar;
worn C14 female effigy to north. Six C13 cross slabs in porch, including
priest's slab with chalice, book and blessing hand, also C17 slab with
inscription running in spiral.
Listing NGR: NZ0474315936
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings