This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.656 / 51°39'21"N
Longitude: -0.9172 / 0°55'1"W
OS Eastings: 475000
OS Northings: 195800
OS Grid: SU750958
Mapcode National: GBR C3D.2Y7
Mapcode Global: VHDVW.1MZW
Entry Name: Wormsley House
Listing Date: 21 June 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1310444
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46641
Location: Stokenchurch, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP14
Civil Parish: Stokenchurch
Built-Up Area: Stokenchurch
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Lewknor
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 79 SW
5/162 Wormsley House
Large house. Circa 1800 remodelling of mid C18 building. Colourwashed render, slate roofs, brick chimneys. U-plan. 3 storeys, 6 bays. Plinth, moulded cornice at second floor level, stone coped parapet. Outer bays are very slightly advanced with shallow arched recesses to ground floor. 3-pane sash windows, those to attic storey half-size.
Double flush-panelled doors to right of centre with ornamental rectangular fanlight, flanking tall narrow lights and glazed Doric porch. Canted bay with similar sashes at each end of range. Right side is symmetrical with canted bays flanking 4 2-storey bays. Left side has whitewashed brick and flint wing with old tile roof. Rear also whitewashed brick and flint with irregular fenestration. Interior: front range and right wing have good marble fireplaces of c.1800 with inlaid coloured marble ornament, moulded cornices and carved frieze panels. Contemporary plaster ceiling cornices with pierced ornament, the front right room with ornamental plaster ceiling, the right wing with central plaster vaulted passage. Hall has screen of Ionic columns to left, and fireplace flanked by segmental arched openings. Right arch leads to re-sited mid C18 staircase with elegant turned balusters, carved scroll tread ends, and wreathed moulded handrail. Left wing has ground floor room with mid C18 ceiling cornice and moulded architrave surround to fireplace. Another mid C18 fireplace to first floor of right wing.
Listing NGR: SU7383894527
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings