This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.6116 / 54°36'41"N
Longitude: -2.0714 / 2°4'17"W
OS Eastings: 395483
OS Northings: 524047
OS Grid: NY954240
Mapcode National: GBR FHZ3.BN
Mapcode Global: WHB44.4CV1
Entry Name: Laithkirk Church
Listing Date: 17 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1310445
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111287
Location: Lunedale, County Durham, DL12
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Lunedale
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
LUNEDALE B6276, Laithkirk
NY 92 SE (South side)
Parish church. Said to have been a C15 tithe barn of Lord Fitzhugh; converted
repaired and re-roofed in 1826; further restorations c.1900. Rubble with
sandstone dressings. Graduated slate roof. Continuous nave and chancel; south
porch and south vestry.
Nave and chancel, of 6 internal bays, with rough stone plinth and flush quoins.
Blank gabled west end with flat-topped bellcote at apex. North side 4 wide
lancets in projecting tooled surrounds. East end round-arched window with rough
flush voussoirs. South side 3 similar lancets and a round-headed sundial to
east inscribed: WATCH AND PRAY 1865. Roof with coped gables; 3 small triangular
roof lights to north pitch.
Gabled porch, to west, has pointed chamfered arch with projecting impost blocks.
Rebuilt stone benches within porch. Small pointed stoup on inner east wall,
near square-headed nave doorway.
Gabled vestry, to east, with pointed arch under hoodmould. East return: flight
of steps down to basement door under pointed arch; small C19 lancet above in
moulded surround with flanking engaged colonnettes. Steeply-pitched roof.
Plain and plastered interior. Octagonal C19 stone font, with engaged marble
colonnettes, at south-west end of nave: Oversized and off-centre C20 chancel
screen, brought from elsewhere; similar sanctuary panelling. 5 King-post trusses.
(The Victoria History of the Counties of England, ed. William Page, F.S.A. ,
A History of the County of York North Riding, 1925).
Listing NGR: NY9548324047
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings