This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6616 / 51°39'41"N
Longitude: -0.9022 / 0°54'7"W
OS Eastings: 476029
OS Northings: 196436
OS Grid: SU760964
Mapcode National: GBR C37.STT
Mapcode Global: VHDVW.9HXL
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 21 June 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1310455
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46630
Location: Stokenchurch, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP14
Civil Parish: Stokenchurch
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Stokenchurch
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
STOKENCHURCH CHURCH STREET
SU 79 NE
2/151 Church of St. Peter and St. Paul
Parish church. Nave originally C12, with C15 W. end, C14 and C16 N.
transept, C16 S. porch, and C13-C14 chancel. N. aisle and bell tower added
1893. All heavily restored late C19. Roughcast and pebbledash over flint,
with stone dressings and lead roofs. W. bay has slate roof, diagonal
buttresses, and shingled bell-tower with pyramidal lead roof and 3
triangular louvres to each side. Moulded W. door with 3-light Perpendicular
traceried window above. Chamfered lancet and high blocked slit window
in S. side of W. bay. S. side of nave has 3 C14 and C15 2-light traceried
windows, the right window very tall. Late C12 S. door with pointed arch,
dogtooth and double roll mouldings, and flanking single shafts, the left
with carved foliage capital. Gabled porch. C19 N. aisle with 2 2-light
and one 3-light traceried windows. N. transept has diagonal buttresses and
C15-C16 windows with Tudor hoodmoulds, the N. window of 3-lights with
carved head stops and single cusped light above in gable, the E. window
of 2-lights. Chancel has 2 bays of 2-light traceried windows, one to N.
with flat head, and 3-light traceried E. window. Small chamfered S. door.
Interior: nave has double chamfered arch to N. transept, and matching 3-bay
arcade on octagonal piers to N. aisle. Large arched squint to N. of chancel
arch. Restored C15-C16 roof with carved spandrels on carved head and
angel corbels. N. transept has cinquefoil piscina and good C15-C16 roof
with arched wind-braces and cusped principals to central truss. Pointed
chancel arch with re-used chevron ornament and one slender shaft on each
side. Cusped N. aumbry with slightly ogee head; traceried piscina with
flanking finials and aumbry to right; window-seat sedilia. Octagonal font
with moulded rim, probably C13, altered C15-C16. Other fittings and glass are
late C19. Monuments: brasses to Bartholomew Tipping and wife Martha 1632;
2 brasses with figures of knights on jambs of chancel arch; memorial tablet
with carved festoons and putti, to Bartholomew Tipping, 1680, founder of the
free school; white marble tablet with flanking scrolls to Bartholomew
Tipping 1738; late C18 memorial tablets to Mason family in nave.
RCHM I p.283-4.
Listing NGR: SU7602996436
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings