History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John of Beverley

A Grade II Listed Building in Wressle, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7729 / 53°46'22"N

Longitude: -0.9276 / 0°55'39"W

OS Eastings: 470776

OS Northings: 431264

OS Grid: SE707312

Mapcode National: GBR PSYT.Z7

Mapcode Global: WHFD4.QFHG

Entry Name: Church of St John of Beverley

Listing Date: 16 December 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1310488

English Heritage Legacy ID: 165371

Location: Wressle, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO8

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Wressle

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Wressle St John of Beverley

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Wressell

Listing Text

WRESSLE
SE 73 SW
5/143 Church of St John of
Beverley
16.12.66

- II
Church. 1799 with alterations of 1873. Brick in English garden wall bond,
ashlar plinth and dressings, Westmorland slate roof. West tower, 3-bay
nave, with south porch and north vestry, long single-bay chancel. 3-stage
tower with ashlar bands. Rectangular slit windows to second stage. Round-
headed belfry openings with ashlar sill band to third stage. Ashlar cornice
and embattled parapets. There is an ashlar urinal in the angle of the tower
and the south side of the nave. Nave: porch with C19 pointed doorway and
hipped roof to south; vestry with pair of square-headed windows to north.
Otherwise 2-light pointed Gothic windows, inserted in 1873. Door and
windows with returned hoodmoulds. East end: 2-light Gothick window. Nave
roof with stone coped gable to west, hipped to east. Chancel roof hipped to
east. Interior: very plain. Plaque above door reads:

This church was built on the Site of the Ancient Parish Church of Wressell

in the 39th Year of the Reign of KING GEORGE the 3rd Anno Domini 1799.

The Right Honb1 GEORGE O'BRIEN EARL OF EGREMONT Lord of the Manor. JOHN

BACON SAWREY MORRITT ESQR Impropriator. The REVD GEORGE ION Vicar.

Richard Waterworth of Wressell) Church Wardens
James Craven of Newsham )

Pevsner N, Yorkshire: York and the East Riding, 1972.


Listing NGR: SE7077631264

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.