This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6748 / 51°40'29"N
Longitude: -0.8646 / 0°51'52"W
OS Eastings: 478604
OS Northings: 197949
OS Grid: SU786979
Mapcode National: GBR C32.XYC
Mapcode Global: VHDVW.Y5RF
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 21 June 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1310495
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46611
Location: Radnage, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP14
Civil Parish: Radnage
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Radnage
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
RADNAGE CHURCH LANE
SU 79 NE
2/132 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Late C12-early C13, with C14 and C15 alterations.
Flint with stone dressings and lead roofs. Nave, narrow central tower
and chancel, C15 S. porch, C20 vestry to N. of nave. Nave has C14
2-light traceried windows, 2 to S., one to W. and one to E. One S.
window completely restored c.1980. W. bay probably a C15 addition with
diagonal buttresses. Other C19 brick buttresses to N. and S.
Unmoulded S. doorway in porch with moulded 4-centred arch and cusped
lights to sides. Porch roof has arched wind-braces and embattled
cornice. Central tower of 2-stages has narrow lancets to lower stage,
and wider altered lancets to bell-chamber. Below upper lancets to E.
and W. are other partly blocked openings with arched heads. Blocked
doorway with small window to S., slight staircase projection to N.
Chancel has eaves raised in brick, and 2 bays of C14 2-light traceried
windows, one to N. mostly blocked. Series of 3 widely spaced narrow
lancets to E, with taller central light. Simple whitewashed interior,
the nave with traces of C13 figured wall-paintings and early C17 texts in
painted cartouches. Fine C15 nave roof with embattled tie beams and
wall-plates, slender arch-braces, and traceried spandrels. Unmoulded
2-centred arches with moulded imposts to tower, the E. arch with painted
ashlaring and consecration crosses. E. windows of chancel have deep
splays with C13 paintings of figures in cusped niches, the central
window with Christ enthroned at apex. Shaped piscina, chamfered aumbry.
Rough medieval font, C18 panelled pulpit. Re-sited brass to William
and Sebell Este 1534.
RCHM I p. 274-5.
Listing NGR: SU7860497948
Other nearby listed buildings