This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3309 / 50°19'51"N
Longitude: -4.5188 / 4°31'7"W
OS Eastings: 220825
OS Northings: 50919
OS Grid: SX208509
Mapcode National: GBR NC.XH31
Mapcode Global: FRA 18F5.7C1
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 21 August 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1310531
English Heritage Legacy ID: 61540
Location: Lansallos, Cornwall, PL13
Civil Parish: Polperro
Built-Up Area: Polperro
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Talland
Church of England Diocese: Truro
6/76 Church of St John
Chapel of Ease. 1838 (datestone). Built by Rev W Rawlings, former rector. Remained
private property until 1887 when it was transferred to the Ecclesiastical
Commissioners. Rendered stone with slate roof with nave and choir in one. Shallow
projecting chancel beneath lower slate roof at east end. Gabled north transept.
Overall 'T' shape plan comprising nave, chancel, north transept containing entrance,
vestry and bell tower and further north porch on north west of nave. Built directly
into side of hill with retaining wall directly to south.
North transept flanked by 2 lancet window with hoodmoulds in nave and chancel. North
transept with tall lancet window in large shallow recess with pointed arch containing
date AD 1838, flanked by 2 octagonal corner turrets with crenellated parapets, and
octagonal timber bellcote with louvered sides on ridge. North gabled porch with
plank door in 4-centred arch. Lancets in east and west windows.
Interior Suspended ceiling with decorative multi-foiled ventilation opening. Slate
flag floor. 4-centred chancel arch. C19 furnishings. Gallery at west end with
panelled front and supported on 2 octagonal columns with panelled sides. Panelled
front. Raked seating in gallery. Possibly quirn in north transept.
Kelly's Directory of Cornwall 1889 p 1128.
Listing NGR: SX2083551002
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings