This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.2304 / 50°13'49"N
Longitude: -5.2734 / 5°16'24"W
OS Eastings: 166641
OS Northings: 41836
OS Grid: SW666418
Mapcode National: GBR Z0.RPTB
Mapcode Global: VH12J.KG1R
Entry Name: Trevenson Church
Listing Date: 12 September 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1310537
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66693
Location: Carn Brea, Cornwall, TR15
Civil Parish: Carn Brea
Built-Up Area: Camborne
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Saint Illogan
Church of England Diocese: Truro
CARN BREA CHURCH ROAD
SW 64 SE
Church. Built 1806-9 by the Basset family of Tehidy as a chapel of ease to the
Church of St Illogan, Illogan (q.v.); tower added subsequently; slightly altered.
Uncoursed killas rubble with granite quoins, compostion slate roof; tower of
snecked granite. Nave, small chancel, west tower partly embraced by nave.
Gothick style. The narrow 3-stage tower has angle buttresses to the 1st stage
only, weathered bands to the upper stages, which are slightly set back, and an
embattled over-sailing parapet; a 2-centred arched west doorway with chamfered
surround and hoodmould and a square headed window above this with 3 round-
headed lights and hoodmould, a clockface in the front of the 2nd stage and
circular windows with diamond leaded glazing in the sides, all with hoodmoulds;
and louvred 2-light belfry windows with hoodmoulds. The tall rectangular nave
has 2 large and widely spaced 2-centred arched 2-light windows in each side
wall, all with Y-tacery and delicate intersecting tracery incorporating trefoils
and a quatrefoil in the heads, diamond lattice glazing below, and narrow margin
panes: all this executed in cast iron; and between the windows on the north side
there is the outline of another (either not built, or removed). There is an apex
cross on the east gable; and the short one-bay chancel has a stepped triple-
lancet east window. Interior: plain west gallery on 2 cast-iron columns, and
above this a plaster coat of arms; on the south wall, a large painting (The Dead
Saviour, Virgin and Angels) by John Bryant Lane, commissioned by Lord de
Dunstanville of Tehidy in 1808 as an altar piece.
Listing NGR: SW6664141836
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings