This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5807 / 54°34'50"N
Longitude: -1.8036 / 1°48'12"W
OS Eastings: 412794
OS Northings: 520626
OS Grid: NZ127206
Mapcode National: GBR HHVG.BQ
Mapcode Global: WHC5L.84D6
Entry Name: 1 and 2, North Green
Listing Date: 14 September 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1310572
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111511
Location: Staindrop, County Durham, DL2
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Staindrop
Built-Up Area: Staindrop
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Staindrop
Church of England Diocese: Durham
STAINDROP NORTH GREEN
17/146 Nos. 1 and 2
One house, now 2, with 2 shops. Dated 1729 over door of No. 2 at left; shops
late C19. Coursed sandstone rubble with chamfered quoins, ashlar dressings and
shop plinths; roofs pantiled with stone slates at eaves, and dark grey asbestos
tiles; stone gable coping and brick chimneys. 3 storeys, 4 and 3 bays.
No. 2 at left has step up to C20 door in second bay, in architrave under
pulvinated frieze and broken pediment, which contains oval panel inscribed
WCE over date 1729. No. 1 has central partly-glazed 4-panel door in architrave
under pulvinated frieze and cornice.
Square bay shop windows: double-fronted in 2 right bays of No. 2, with 2 rows
of 2 panes each side of steps to central C19 door, all under wide entablature;
similar treatment to 2 rows of 3 panes in bay at right of No. 1. Plain stone
surrounds and lintel bands to sash windows, all with fine glazing bars except
for late C19 sash in first ground-floor bay of No. 2. Right end quoins.
Pantile and stone slate roof to No. 2; asbestos tiles to No. 1, which has right
gable coping on moulded kneelers. Chimneys banded at left end, corniced
between houses and at right end. Right return of No. 1 has renewed door,
entrance to house, in plain stone surround.
Listing NGR: NZ1280020626
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings