This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5551 / 54°33'18"N
Longitude: -1.9684 / 1°58'6"W
OS Eastings: 402142
OS Northings: 517756
OS Grid: NZ021177
Mapcode National: GBR GHPR.NX
Mapcode Global: WHB4C.QRWW
Entry Name: Hansom House lartington Hall monk's Flat witham Court
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Last Amended: 17 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1310603
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111259
Location: Lartington, County Durham, DL12
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Lartington
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
LARTINGTON LARTINGTON LANE
NZ 0217 (North side, off)
32/92 Lartington Hall,
12.1.67 Witham Court and
(Formerly listed as
GV Lartington Hall)
Large county house and former servants' wing, the latter now 3 dwellings:
Monk's Flat, Witham Court and Hansom House. Dated 1635 on porch doorway; late
C18 chapel and west wing; early C19 east wing with c.1836 ballroom addition
possibly by Ignatius Bonomi; porte-cochère, vestibule, corridor and servants'
wing added 1861-5 by Joseph Hansom. Pebble-dashed masonry, graduated green
slate roofs and stone chimney stacks. Servants' wing: squared masonry; stone-
flagged roofs and stone chimney stacks. Reversed U-plan: centre block; chapel,
wing and rear servants' wing to west; early C19 east wing with ballroom and
1861-5 additions to north.
South front: 3-storey, 5-bay centre with projecting 3-storey porch: doorway
with 3-centred head and re-cut 1635 date on lintel; blocked 2-light chamfered-
mullioned window and 4-pane sash in architrave above. 4-pine sashes in flanking
bays. 3-light Geometrical-tracery window in projecting chapel. 4-bay wing to
east, with replaced 4-pane sashes, breaks forward. Eaves cornice. Low-pitched
roof is hipped over wings and porch. Stepped and corniced ridge stacks with
ornamental chimney pots.
2-storey, 9-bay east front has 3-bay centre and canted end bays. Plinth,
replaced 4-pane sashes, eaves cornice and low-pitched roof. Ballroom addition:
canted east bay with elaborate, pedimented tripartite window; taller main block
behind with clerestory and low-pitched hipped roof; set-back north bay with
North front: 2-bay porte-cochère has round archways, end piers with vermiculated
rustication, entablature with 1863 datestone and round-arched, pedimented return
bays. Square vestibule behind has canted corners, small glazed lantern and low-
pitched pyramidal roof.
2-storey west front of 2 builds: 3-bay north section has 12-pane sashes; 2
gabled porches at junction; 4-bay chapel has pointed windows with impost blocks;
horse-mounting block to south end. Low-pitched hipped roof.
Servants' wing has sashes, steeply-pitched roofs, tall stacks and 1861 datestone
in south gable of Hansom House.
Interior: former chapel, now squash court, has Gothic plasterwork, quadripartite
rib-vaulted ceiling and north gallery. Colonnaded ballroom has canted corners,
4 segmental-arched recesses, Composite capitals, enriched entablature carried
across the recesses, clerestory and coffered ceiling. Cinquecento-style
additions by Hansom: vestibule with canted corners, niches, enriched round
archways and painted coffered ceiling cove; linking 6-bay corridor to ballroom
(south section has 3 circular skylights on pendentives; north section has late
C20 suspended ceiling); spacious staircase hall has open-well cantilevered stone
stair with wreathed and ramped handrail and cast-iron balusters, skylight with
C19 heraldic stained glass, Venetian stair window with stained glass of Pre-
Raphaelite female figure holding lyre.
Lartington Hall was the home of the geologist Henry Witham (1779-1844).
Listing NGR: NZ0214217756
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings