History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wycombe Abbey (Parts of Wycombe Abbey School)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wycombe, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6258 / 51°37'32"N

Longitude: -0.7506 / 0°45'2"W

OS Eastings: 486581

OS Northings: 192627

OS Grid: SU865926

Mapcode National: GBR D5B.316

Mapcode Global: VHDW4.YD1H

Entry Name: Wycombe Abbey (Parts of Wycombe Abbey School)

Listing Date: 9 January 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1310649

English Heritage Legacy ID: 46111

Location: Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP11

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

Town: Wycombe

District Council Ward: Abbey

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: High Wycombe All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
High Wycombe

Listing Text

MARLOW HILL
1.
963
Wycombe Abbey
(Parts of Wycombe
Abbey School)
SU 8692 NE 1/61 9.l.54.
II*
2.
Originally known as Loakes Manor, probably early C17, enlarged circa 1755-59
by Henry Keene for Lord Shelburne. Bought 1798 by Robert Smith, first
Lord Carrington (1752-1838), politician. Renamed Wycombe Abbey, remodelled
in Gothic style by James Wyatt circa 1804 and enlarged. The hall, now
called Big School, added 1891; shortly afterwards the house and grounds
were sold and became a girls' public school.
Ashlar with flint garretting, battlements. The north entrance front has
central doorway in arched stone porch, narrow pointed arched flanking windows
lighting 2 storey hall with balcony, hammer beam roof, pointed arched east
side corridor. Remainder of extension similar with main symmetrical garden
front on east. Extensive modern additions, mainly unlisted, on west.
Hall on south west incoporates mid C18 pew from All Saints Church made
for John Lord Shelburne.
Important park landscaped with impressive banks of trees. See K A Wal
From one Generation to Another.


Listing NGR: SU8658192627

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.