This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6967 / 53°41'47"N
Longitude: -0.877 / 0°52'37"W
OS Eastings: 474242
OS Northings: 422832
OS Grid: SE742228
Mapcode National: GBR QT9P.XL
Mapcode Global: WHFDK.HBLX
Entry Name: Hydraulic Accumulator Tower Approximately 20 Metres East of South Dock Basin
Listing Date: 5 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1310668
English Heritage Legacy ID: 165281
Location: Goole, East Riding of Yorkshire, DN14
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Goole
Built-Up Area: Goole
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Goole St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
GOOLE BRIDGE STREET
SE 72 SW
(west side, off)
10/56 Hydraulic accumulator
tower approximately 20
metres east of South Dock
Hydraulic accumulator tower. Mid - late C19 for Aire and Calder Navigation.
Tooled ashlar base, timber-framed weather-boarded tower with asphalt roof,
cast-iron machinery. Square on plan, with sides of approximately 5 metres.
Chamfered ashlar plinth. Plain 2-stage tower approximately 15 metres high,
south and west sides somewhat damaged. Yorkshire sash to second stage,
south side. Fragmentary timber balcony near the top of the north and south
sides; slots for former balcony supports visible on east and west sides.
Hipped roof with exposed rafter ends, roof light and decorative finial.
Interior contains original hydraulic machinery and iron ladder. A weighted
ram compressed water in the cylindrical tank occupying the lower half of the
tower, and provided hydraulic power for the boat hoist and other machinery
in the nearby South Dock. A similar, larger, tower stands at the head of
the Stanhope Dock, south of Stanhope Street (qv). The hydraulic accumulator
was invented by Sir William Armstrong and first used in Newcastle in 1851.
The accumulator towers at Goole may have been installed by W H Bartholomew
as part of the improvements which included the boat hoists. Disused and
derelict at time of resurvey. Singer C, History of Technology, Vol 5, 1958,
Listing NGR: SE7424222832
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings