History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Everilda

A Grade II* Listed Building in Everingham, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8708 / 53°52'14"N

Longitude: -0.7786 / 0°46'43"W

OS Eastings: 480404

OS Northings: 442313

OS Grid: SE804423

Mapcode National: GBR RR0P.65

Mapcode Global: WHFCN.0YHY

Entry Name: Church of Saint Everilda

Listing Date: 26 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1310669

English Heritage Legacy ID: 167028

Location: Everingham, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO42

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Everingham

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Everingham

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Everingham

Listing Text

EVERINGHAM MAIN STREET
SE 84 SW
(east side)
6/73 Church of Saint Everilda
26.1.67
- II*
Church. Early C13 west tower, raised C15, remodelled 1588. West porch,
nave and eastern apse c1763. Ashlar to west tower and plinths, red brick,
slate roof. West tower with west porch, 3-bay nave with canted apse. West
tower: small rectangular window to first stage. Chamfered band with raised
lozenges. Two brick round-headed belfry openings to second stage. Plain
band. Third stage with crenellated parapet with crocketed pinnacles.
Round-headed west doorway with double-leaf door of eight raised and fielded
panels. Datestone in south wall first stage with inscription: 1588. Nave:
I R
plinth. Three blank round-headed arches, with impost band, rising through
full height of building; originally with round-headed windows with sill
band, narrowed in C19 to round-headed lancets. Moulded stone cornice, coped
gables with obelisks. Plain Venetian east window with impost band.
Interior: round-headed tower arch with two narrow chamfers on moulded
responds - each a central, small, roll flanked by filleted rolls. Stoup
inserted into north jamb. Brass tablet, in English, to Dame Jane Constable,
died 1558.


Listing NGR: SE8040742314

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.