This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.7775 / 54°46'38"N
Longitude: -1.5753 / 1°34'30"W
OS Eastings: 427418
OS Northings: 542587
OS Grid: NZ274425
Mapcode National: GBR KFF6.R6
Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.S52V
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 19 February 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1310684
English Heritage Legacy ID: 110286
Location: County Durham, DH1
County: County Durham
Electoral Ward/Division: Elvet and Gilesgate
Built-Up Area: Durham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Durham St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Durham
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE MARKET PLACE
NZ 2742 NW (North side)
Church of St Nicholas
Parish church. 1857-8 by J.P. Pritchett. Snecked sandstone with ashlar
dressings; graduated Lakeland slate roof with stone gable copings. Aisled
nave and chancel; south porch and south tower. Decorated style. 5-stage
tower in second bay from west has angle buttresses with gabled offsets;
double door with ornate iron hinges in shafted and moulded surround with
ballflower decoration; arms of City of Durham and church in blind quatrefoils
at either side under quatrefoil band and sloped coping, imitating Kepier
Hospital gatehouse (q.v.). Elaborate canopied niche above contains statue of
St. Nicholas, flanked by blind cross-slits. Tall third stage has 2 high
windows. Mask brackets support clock under pinnacled gablet; paired 2-light
belfry openings above under battlemented parapet on ballflower- and-mask
brackets. Gabled corner pinnacles; tall octagonal stone spire with lucarnes.
3-light aisle windows in bays defined by buttresses with gablets and pinnacles;
4-light chancel window in first bay. Clerestory has rounded triangular windows.
East front has shallow gabled porch in south aisle and 2-light window in north,
with gabled buttresses; large 5-light east window; 4-light west window.
Interior: painted plaster with arch-braced collar and king-post roof. 4-bay
north arcade and 2-bay south arcade have leaf-carved capitals to shafted columns;
high chancel arch in similar style. Re-ordered, with chancel arch and aisles
filled with glazed screens forming chapel. Tower has 8-ribbed vault with
heraldic and floral corbels; central boss carved ST.N. and dated 1858. Traceried
stone screens in chancel commemorate Ralph Dixon and are gift of the proprietors
of Durham Waterworks in 1858. Glass by L.C. Evetts in south aisle, 1963.
Listing NGR: NZ2741842587
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings