History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hollingside House and Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Durham South, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7609 / 54°45'39"N

Longitude: -1.5748 / 1°34'29"W

OS Eastings: 427457

OS Northings: 540743

OS Grid: NZ274407

Mapcode National: GBR KFFD.V4

Mapcode Global: WHC4Q.SL8L

Entry Name: Hollingside House and Wall

Listing Date: 10 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1310725

English Heritage Legacy ID: 110266

Location: County Durham, DH1

County: County Durham

Electoral Ward/Division: Durham South

Built-Up Area: Durham

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Durham St Oswald

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Durham

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/09/2012


NZ 24 SE
4/214


DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE
HOLLINGSIDE LANE
(East side)
Hollingside House and wall


GV
II


House. Early, mid and later C19; Flemish bond brick garden front, coursed
squared sandstone rear; rear wing sandstone with brick and ashlar dressings;
Welsh slate roof with brick chimneys and rendered chimney at rear of wing.
L-plan. Garden front 2 storeys, 3 bays, the outer bays canted. Central French
window and overlight; other windows sashes with glazing bars; flat stone lintels,
some with bracketed cornices, and projecting stone sills. Bracketed moulded
gutter. Low-pitched hipped roof has later central dormers. Garden wall attached
to right return; sandstone outer leaf, brick inner, with flat stone coping;
segmental-headed doorway to lane.

From 1850 to 1852 this was the home of Reverend John Bacchus Dykes, hymn writer;
precentor of Durham Cathedral and vicar of St. Oswald's church, Durham.
Included for historic interest.


Listing NGR: NZ2745740743

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.