This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5525 / 51°33'9"N
Longitude: -0.824 / 0°49'26"W
OS Eastings: 481630
OS Northings: 184394
OS Grid: SU816843
Mapcode National: GBR D60.NGF
Mapcode Global: VHDWH.N7QN
Entry Name: Danesfield House
Listing Date: 9 August 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1310810
English Heritage Legacy ID: 47027
Location: Medmenham, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, SL7
Civil Parish: Medmenham
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Medmenham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
MEDMENHAM HENLEY ROAD
SU 88 SW (DANESFIELD)
Mansion, now offices. Dated 1899-1901. By F.H. Romaine Walker
for Mr. Robert Hudson, soap manufacturer, of Bache Hall, Cheshire.
Dressed chalk, plain tile roofs, brick chimneys with groups of
richly patterned shafts, lead rainwater heads with pierced geometric
ornament. In Tudor style. Approximately E plan with central
porch to state rooms in S. wing, former banquetting room and gatehouse
in W. wing, and E. wing fronting former stable courtyard. 1950s wing
attached to S.W. Battlemented parapets, stone mullion and transom
windows with leaded lights. W. wing has gatehouse tower with moulded
4-centred arch and fan vault, battlemented oriel window, clock, and
corner turrets. Remainder of wing is of one tall storey with one
bay window to left and 4 to right. 2 2-storey gabled bays and 1950s
wing project to right. Entrance courtyard has 2-storey porch to
centre of S. range and hall with 3 tall bay windows to right.
Simpler gatehouse to stable courtyard in E. wing. Stable ranges
altered to offices c.1980, retaining Tuscan colonnade and spiral
wooden staircase with conical tiled roof in N.W. corner. S. front
has 5 3-storey bays to centre, flanked by 4-storey projecting towers
and 2-storey outer bays. Centre bays have ground floor loggia
with 4-centred moulded arches on Tuscan columns, articulated into
bay rhythm 2: 7: 2 by piers with shell niches. Pierced parapet
with cusped ornament. Bay windows to upper storeys and outer bays.
Towers have stepped parapets, corner finials and 3-storey battlemented
bay windows. Interior is Jacobethan, with some rooms remodelled 1920s
in late C18 style. Great Hall has Jacobethan panelling with pilasters,
screen with arched double doors, minstrels' gallery, and splendid
hammerbeam roof with traceried spandrels and righly carved pendants.
Roof is dated H 1901 over gallery. Circa 1940 stone fireplace in
French medieval style. Below gallery is entrance lobby with panelling
and carved overmantel to 4-centred stone fireplace. Panelled passage
with ribbed plaster pendants to ceiling. Panelled Jacobethan board-
room with internal porch, richly carved wooden overmantel and columns
to fireplace, ribbed ceiling, and plaster frieze with copies of
heraldic motifs dated ANM 1677. Adjacent dining room with marble
fireplace in Adam style. S.W. room has delicate plaster ceiling in
late C18 style, and late C18 white marble fireplace with low relief
carvings of musical instruments. Grand banquetting room decorated
1920s with Ionic pilasters, plaster frieze with scrolls and trophies,
grey marble fireplace, and large arched mirrors. Fine Jacobethan
staircase has rusticated newel posts and pierced balustrading with
foliage scrolls, beasts and heraldry. Triple arcade to landing.
C17 and C18 style panelling in upper rooms, original ornamental
tiles retained in some bathrooms.
Listing NGR: SU8163084394
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings