History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Trevithick's Cottage

A Grade II* Listed Building in Camborne, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2029 / 50°12'10"N

Longitude: -5.3122 / 5°18'43"W

OS Eastings: 163736

OS Northings: 38908

OS Grid: SW637389

Mapcode National: GBR FX84.MGN

Mapcode Global: VH12P.W508

Entry Name: Trevithick's Cottage

Listing Date: 29 October 1965

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1310895

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66598

Location: Camborne, Cornwall, TR14

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Camborne

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Penponds

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Camborne

Listing Text

CAMBORNE HIGHER PENPONDS ROAD
SW 63 NW
(east side)
7/52 Penponds
29.10.65 Trevithick's Cottage
GV II*

Also known as Higher Penponds Farm Cottage. Farmhouse, now house. C18,
altered. Whitewashed killas rubble and brick, thatched roof, brick chimneys.
L-plan formed by 2-unit main range with stable attached at right-hand
end, and short rear wing to the left. Two low storeys and 2 bays;
symmetrical; central doorway protected by modern gabled porch, 2 square
windows on each floor, all of 6 panes with lay bars only; gable chimneys.
Stable continued to the right, of killas and granite rubble with slate roof,
has a central doorway with loading door over it. The left gable wall of the
house has a bronze plaque attached at 1st floor recording that the engineer
Richard Trevithick (1771-1833) lived here. Rear has modern lean-to
addition in angle with wing. Interior: parlour to right of door is fully
panelled, with a dado of horizontal boards, dado rail, and vertical boarding
with moulded muntins, fireplace with architrave including fluted columns,
and basket-arched alcove with keystone; kitchen to left has rectangular
fireplace with timber lintel. The item is now a National Trust property.


Listing NGR: SW6373638908

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.