History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter and St Paul

A Grade II* Listed Building in Medmenham, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5534 / 51°33'12"N

Longitude: -0.8407 / 0°50'26"W

OS Eastings: 480474

OS Northings: 184472

OS Grid: SU804844

Mapcode National: GBR C4N.J8M

Mapcode Global: VHDWH.C6XZ

Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Listing Date: 21 June 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1310930

English Heritage Legacy ID: 46995

Location: Medmenham, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, SL7

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

Civil Parish: Medmenham

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Medmenham

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Hambleden

Listing Text

MEDMENHAM FERRY LANE
SU 88 SW
(west side)
8/111 Church of St. Peter and
St. Paul
21.6.55
GV II*
Parish church. Nave is mid C12 with late C15 fenestration; early C15
W. tower; chancel c.1480; all much restored C19; N. transept rebuilt
and N. vestry added 1925. Flint and chalk block, the tower part
roughcast. Tiled roofs. W. tower is of 3 stages with battlemented
parapet, diagonal buttresses, and stair projection with slit windows
at S.E. corner. 2-light traceried openings to belfry, small cusped
lancets below, Perpendicular 3-light traceried W. window over
moulded doorway. Nave has restored late C15 2-light windows with
ogee tracery, flat heads and Tudor hoodmoulds, 3 to south, 2 to north.
N. side of nave also has semi-circular chalk arch blocked with brick,
and lower walls are part rebuilt in brick. S. door has slightly
chamfered semi-circular arch with later moulded imposts, and C19-C20
gabled timber porch. Chancel has restored traceried windows with
arched heads, 2-light to N. and S., 3-light Perpendicular to E.
Restored S. door. Interior: tall tower arch of 2 orders, with waved
and hollow chamfering, the inner order on semi-octagonal piers with
moulded caps; chamfered 2-centred niche, formerly stoup; nave roof
with slight plain king posts possibly late C15, double chamfered arch
to N. transept; C19 hammerbeam screen to chancel; restored piscinae
in chancel and S. wall of nave. Early C19 marble wall tablets.
C19 fittings. Chancel glass by Willement.
RCHM I p. 254-255.


Listing NGR: SU8047484472

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.