This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.246 / 50°14'45"N
Longitude: -5.1279 / 5°7'40"W
OS Eastings: 177086
OS Northings: 43131
OS Grid: SW770431
Mapcode National: GBR Z9.ZL4K
Mapcode Global: FRA 084C.XQF
Entry Name: Melody House
Listing Date: 12 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1310954
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63411
Location: Kea, Cornwall, TR3
Civil Parish: Kea
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Highertown
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 74 SE KEA BALDHU
1/127 Melody House
Vicarage, now private house. Circa 1848. Built for the Reverend William Haslem and
possibly designed by him or helped by William White who designed the church, Killas
rubble walls with shallow rubble arches over openings and slatehanging to side wall
(south west). Scantle slate roofs with brick chimneys over gable ends with external
breast to right and lateral shaft over side wall, left, and hip to front (south east)
projection of cross wing.
Irregular plan of overall L-shape with 2 unequal reception rooms flanking through
passage leading to stair behind left-hand room within integral wing kitchen beyond
and integral lean-to at kitchen gable end. Roof sweeps slightly lower to rear of
right-hand room with narrow room behind.
2 storeys. Irregular 3-window south east front with 1-window hipped shallow
projecting wing, left, with wider ground floor window with 3-light casement and 2-
light casement over. 2-window part, set back to right has doorway to far left,
adjoining angle, with C20 top-glazed door and window over. Wider window to ground
floor right has 2-light transomed window with marginal panes. Otherwise windows are
original 1-, 2- or 3-light casements with small panes, except some C20 windows to
rear. A C19 engraving by Butterworth and Heath shows a conservatory/verandah with a
3-bay arcade, flush with and to right front wing.
Interior is little altered with original narrow open-well open string stair with
mahogany handrail wreathed over newel with curtail step. Moulded ceiling cornices to
reception rooms and to stair ceiling also with moulded band. Original doors and
Listing NGR: SW7708643131
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings