History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Shincliffe, County Durham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7608 / 54°45'38"N

Longitude: -1.5489 / 1°32'56"W

OS Eastings: 429124

OS Northings: 540746

OS Grid: NZ291407

Mapcode National: GBR KFMD.G5

Mapcode Global: WHC4R.5LPN

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 7 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1311010

English Heritage Legacy ID: 109976

Location: Shincliffe, County Durham, DH1

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Shincliffe

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Shincliffe

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Durham

Listing Text

SHINCLIFFE HIGH STREET
NZ 2940
(North side, off)
14/95 Church of St. Mary
II
Parish church. 1851 by George Pickering, spire added 1871 by Walter and
Robson. Squared sandstone with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof. West
tower with spire, nave with north aisle and south porch, chancel with organ
chamber and vestry on north. Early English style.
3-stage, angle-buttressed tower with shouldered north doorway, trefoil-headed
lancets, pointed 2-light bell openings and Lombard frieze below spire. Tall
octagonal broach spire with large lucarnes at base and smaller lucarnes set
higher up. Buttressed 4-bay nave with pointed north door in porch, lancets
under hoodmoulds, carved gutter brackets and a steep roof with coped gables.
Similar aisle with sill string and pent roof. Lower and narrower, buttressed
2-bay chancel: sill string and 2 lancets in each bay; east end has clasping
buttresses and 3 stepped lancets; steep roof with coped east gable. Gabled
porch has moulded pointed doorway with outer order on colonnettes. Organ
chamber under pent roof. Slightly lower vestry with shouldered north door,
pointed 2-light east window and pent roof with truncated stack.
Interior: Aisle arcade has double-chamfered, pointed arches on cylindrical
piers with moulded octagonal bases and capitals. Similar chancel arch on
keeled responds. Arch-braced king-post roofs to nave and chancel. Good early
C20 woodwork including chancel screen, stalls and pulpit. C19 octagonal stone
font with foliage carving.


Listing NGR: NZ2912440746

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.