This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3952 / 50°23'42"N
Longitude: -4.3084 / 4°18'30"W
OS Eastings: 236025
OS Northings: 57582
OS Grid: SX360575
Mapcode National: GBR NN.SH5Z
Mapcode Global: FRA 18V0.5BS
Entry Name: Old Police Houses
Listing Date: 9 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1311250
English Heritage Legacy ID: 62107
Location: St. Germans, Cornwall, PL12
Civil Parish: St. Germans
Built-Up Area: St Germans
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Germans Group Parish
Church of England Diocese: Truro
ST GERMANS NUT TREE HILL, St Germans
SX 35 NE
5/111 Nos. 1-4 Old Police Houses
Row of 4 estate houses. Dated 1860, with few later alterations. Random slatestone
rubble with limestone dressings. Slate roof with ridge tiles and gable ends.
Plan: Asymmetrical composition in Tudor Gothic style. A long range. No. 1 is in a
short wing to front left, Nos. 2 and 3 in the centre range, and No. 4 with a side
entrance at the right side. Rooms heated by axial stacks.
Exterior: 2 storeys. From the left, projecting gabled wing has canted bay at ground
floor with mullion and transom window to front, single light to sides; 3-light
mullion and transom window at first floor with stepped head and relieving arch. At
ground floor a single 4-centred arched light to the right of the bay. The right side
of the wing has chamfered 4-centred arched doorway with doorway with relieving arch
and plain door. Single 4-centred arched window corbelled out at first floor.
In the main range, similar door to right and left, with two 3-light mullion and
transom windows to each side and a single 4-centred arched light. At first floor, 2
large gabled dormers, each with pointed arched 3-light mullion and transom window;
raised coped verges to gables. To right, a gabled bay broken forward, with 4-light
mullion and transom window at ground floor, 3-light similar window with stepped head
at first floor. Single 4-centred arched light at ground floor to right. End right
has projecting weathered chimney stack wtih datestone set above, with the Eliot crest
and date 1860. Polygonal limestone stack with cornice. The right gable end has
similar 4-centred arched doorway and 3-light casement at first floor.
The left side has projecting gabled bay to right with blocked single light at ground
floor, shield in niche above, dated 1860 and triple polygonal stack rising from the
gable. To left, a 3-light mullion and transom window, gabled dormer wiht raised
coped verges above with 2-light pointed arched mullion and transom window. Single
storey rear service wing attached to left with 2-light casement with gable over, and
single light, gable end stack with brick shaft.
Interior: Not inspected.
Listing NGR: SX3602557582
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings