This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.549 / 50°32'56"N
Longitude: -4.6984 / 4°41'54"W
OS Eastings: 208930
OS Northings: 75613
OS Grid: SX089756
Mapcode National: GBR N3.GQZP
Mapcode Global: FRA 171M.3DM
Entry Name: Higher Lank Farmhouse and Garden Wall to Front
Listing Date: 19 January 1952
Last Amended: 11 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1311253
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67470
Location: St. Breward, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: St. Breward
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Breward
Church of England Diocese: Truro
ST BREWARD HIGHER LANK
SX 07 NE
5/202 Higher Lank Farmhouse and garden
wall to front (previously listed
as Higher Lank Farmhouse on
19.1.52 provisional list of 1955 as item
1414 and Higher Lank Mansion on
statutory list of 1952 item 619
but not included in statutory
list of 1962)
Farmhouse and garden wall. 1627 (datestone) with possibly earlier origins. Built
for Reginald Billing. Stone rubble, rendered on front elevation. Rag slate roof
with gable ends. Granite ashlar stack with moulded cap on left hand gable end and
stone rubble and granite end stack to right. Stone rubble end stack to service wing
on rear left.
Plan: Original plan uncertain and there is evidence to suggest that the house was
originally probably much larger. Main range of two room and through passage plan ;
passage remodelled in circa C19 to form a wide lobby entrance hall, the partition on
the lower left hand side moved to the left and lateral partition made up to reused
panelling inserted. Lower left hand room is considerably larger than that on the
right and is heated by end stack. The higher right hand room was originally heated
by a rear lateral stack, the shaft now removed. Circa C17 heated service wing of 1
room plan to rear of left hand room, circa C18 or C19 unheated wing added to rear of
passage and circa C18 or C19 single storey outshot added to rear of right hand room,
raised to 2 storeys in late C20. A blocked opening on the first floor of the left
hand gable end suggests that the house may have continued to the left.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 4 window front remodelled probably in C19, the
ground floor window openings enlarged in mid C20. The original mullioned windows
have been blocked and are partly visible from the interior. Late C20 casements with
3-light and 2-light casements flanking the entrance. Circa C19 porch reusing earlier
material with 2 chamfered granite piers with run-out stops. 3-centred granite arch,
chamfered with ball stops and with raised balls in spandrels. Initials R B (Reginald
Billing) in stops of hoodmould. 4 two-light casements on first floor. Rear entrance
door to passage, now incorporated in later extension has a chamfered granite
segmental arch with unusual carved stops.
Interior: Entrance passage remodelled in circa C19. Panelled oak screen reused to
rear of lobby with muntins moulded with central roll flanked by ogees. Strapwork and
dentilled cornice above. The left hand room has a large fireplace with chamfered
lintel and chamfered ceiling beams with ornate stops comprising ogee and run-out
moulding. The right hand room was originally heated by a rear lateral fireplace with
straight cut stops. Circa C19 fireplace inserted in right hand gable end with
unmoulded granite lintel. Segmental granite arch on higher side of fireplace on rear
wall probably originally to a stair projection. On first floor on the left hand
gable end is a small room which is now only accessible from within the roof space.
Blocked segmental arch to opening, chamfered on lower-side, the stops on jambs
similar to those to rear door of passage.
Roof structure: 8 trusses, morticed at apices with diagonal set ridge. Chamfered
collars, dovetailed with notched and lap-jointed. Feet of principals boxed in but
are probably curved.
Stone rubble garden wall to front and side with mounting block. Datestone reset
flanking gate piers '1627'.
Listing NGR: SX0893075613
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings