This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0135 / 53°0'48"N
Longitude: -1.3519 / 1°21'6"W
OS Eastings: 443581
OS Northings: 346440
OS Grid: SK435464
Mapcode National: GBR 7FD.11H
Mapcode Global: WHDGH.6JJ4
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 25 November 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1311460
English Heritage Legacy ID: 79069
Location: Heanor and Loscoe, Amber Valley, Derbyshire, DE75
District: Amber Valley
Civil Parish: Heanor and Loscoe
Built-Up Area: Heanor
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Heanor St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 44 NW HEANOR AND LOSCOE CHURCH STREET, Heanor
6/26 Church of St Lawrence
Parish church. C15, 1866-8 by Stevens and Robinson, east end demolished and
south aisle rebuilt c1980 by Prof Kenneth Murton. Ashlar with asbestos slate
roof. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, and north-west vestry.
C15 three stage west tower has stepped angle buttresses to eaves height and deep
moulded plinth. C19 west door has pointed moulded arch on thin colonnettes with
quatrefoils in the spandrels and diaperwork frieze with crenellated top flanked
by gableted pilasters. Above, a large pointed 3-light window with C19 Perpendicular
tracery. Second stage has clockfaces to all but east side and a chamfered single
light opening to south. Bell stage has tall paired pointed 2-light mullioned
and transomed openings to each side. Coved eaves band and embattled parapets
with crocketed corner pinnacles above. C19 single storey vestry attached to
north has flat headed 3-light window to west with cusped lights and hoodmould,
also Tudor arched northern door and moulded copings to parapets. North aisle
has four 2-light shallow arched windows with intersecting Perpendicular style
tracery and hoodmoulds with foliage bosses. Stepped buttresses between and to
either end, also moulded sill band. Vestry beyond to east with canted plan,
north window similar to aisle windows, circular window with quatrefoil tracery
to east and a 2-light flat headed window with ogee headed lights to north-east.
Chancel demolished, now with C20 glazed screen across full width of east end.
South aisle also rebuilt, glazed screens between stone piers and moulded pointed
C19 doorcase to western end. Above a glazed clerestory. C19 2-light window
to west wall of south aisle. Interior has three bay C19 north arcade of moulded
pointed arches on octagonal piers with moulded capitals and C15 tall chamfered
tower arch with soffit mould on corbels. C19 stone circular font to nave with
carved font cover. Windows have some re-used C19 stained glass. Selection of
good wall memorials, one fine marble pedimented one to Prudence Burton died 1676
and another marble one to William Parkes and wife who dies 1628 and 1626. Simple
slate memorials of 1641 and 1678, also fine memorial with swags and cherubs in
tower with illegible inscription, possibly to Samuel Watson, woodcarver of Chatsworth
fame, who was born in Heanor. 1803 monument to John Sutton by White Watson,
descendant of Samuel. Other memorials of early C19, late C19 and C20.
Listing NGR: SK4358146440
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings