History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chalfont St. Peter, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6078 / 51°36'28"N

Longitude: -0.5567 / 0°33'23"W

OS Eastings: 500046

OS Northings: 190873

OS Grid: TQ000908

Mapcode National: GBR F73.430

Mapcode Global: VHFSQ.9VKB

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 22 December 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1311461

English Heritage Legacy ID: 44785

Location: Chalfont St. Peter, Chiltern, Buckinghamshire, SL9

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Chiltern

Civil Parish: Chalfont St. Peter

Civil Parish/community: Chalfont St Peter

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Chalfont St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Chalfont Saint Peter

Listing Text

TQ 0090 NW CHALFONT ST PETER HIGH STREET
11/39
22.12.58 Parish Church of St Peter

II*


Built 1726. Gothicised and enlarged by G E Street in 1853 to 1854 as his first
polychrome brick work. South porch 1887. On site of medieval church which
collapsed in 1708. Red brick west tower with quoins, round arched belfry windows,
battlements and semi-octagonal stair turret on south elevation. Four bay nave in
brick with porch to south and decorated 2-light windows. Three bay chancel and
south chapel in polychrome banded brickwork with stone dressed gables, angle
buttresses and sill bands. Tiled roofs. Decorated windows.
Interior: chancel with cusped arch braced trusses to roof. Sedilium and
piscina/aumbry. Five brasses reset in north wall. Nine bay chancel screen in
timber, pillar pulpit and 7 bay reredos of blind arcading. Coved flat ceiling with
acanthus and geometric friezes by C B M Smith, 1966, following collapse of earlier
roof. Seven funeral hatchments. Many wall monuments of C18 and C19. Stained glass
by Kempe, chancel south and nave north. RCHM I 84 MON.1


Listing NGR: TQ0004690873

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.