This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8751 / 51°52'30"N
Longitude: -0.9128 / 0°54'46"W
OS Eastings: 474943
OS Northings: 220170
OS Grid: SP749201
Mapcode National: GBR C0P.J15
Mapcode Global: VHDTX.449D
Entry Name: Numbers 40 to 54 and Flanking Outbuildings
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Last Amended: 29 January 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1311462
English Heritage Legacy ID: 42199
Location: Quainton, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP22
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Quainton
Built-Up Area: Quainton
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Quainton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 7420 QUAINTON CHURCH STREET
8/52 Nos. 40-54 and flanking
outbuildings (formerly listed
Row of 8 almshouses with small outbuilding at each end. Dated 1687 on
plaques, erected and endowed at the expense of Richard Winwood whose
father, Sir Ralph, was principal Secretary of State to James I. Thin
chequer brick with vitreous headers, moulded brick plinth, gauged first
floor band course, brick pilasters at each end. Old tile roof, brick copings
to main gables. 4 intermediate brick chimney stacks, each with 4 attached
diagonal shafts. Symmetrical range of one storey and attic and 8 bays.
Paired casements with diamond leading,those to ground floor with gauged
brick heads, those to upper floor set above the eaves in gables with moulded
wooden bargeboards. These gables, except at centre, alternate with smaller
gables over single leaded casements. 2-panel doors below in wooden frames
with gauged brick heads. Porch projections between bays 3 and 4 and bays
5 and 6 have shaped gables, blind painted windows to attics, and band
courses raised to front over semi-circular brick arches with moulded edges
and gauged key and impost blocks. Each porch has shaped plaque with raised
inscription tablet in scrolled surround and a coat-of-arms with flanking
cornucopiae. Side walls of porches have similar arches with wooden
shutters, and leaded oval windows above. Gable walls of range have
segmental-headed openings, those to right gable blind, those to left
with barred wooden casements. Rear is similar to front but with 12
small even gables, one segmental. Small symmetrical outbuildings are
important parts of composition and have coved segmental gables to front.
Side walls have some timber framing but are partly rebuilt in brick.
RCHM II p.246 Mon.10.
Listing NGR: SP7494520168
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings