This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.5814 / 50°34'53"N
Longitude: -4.735 / 4°44'6"W
OS Eastings: 206468
OS Northings: 79312
OS Grid: SX064793
Mapcode National: GBR N2.DMK7
Mapcode Global: FRA 07ZJ.F59
Entry Name: Trehannick Farmhouse and Service Buidings to Rear
Listing Date: 17 December 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1311494
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68594
Location: St. Teath, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: St. Teath
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Teath
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 07 NE
6/154 Trehannick Farmhouse and service
17.12.62 buildings to rear
Farmhouse and service buildings to rear. Possibly early C17 or earlier, partly
remodelled in later C18, partly demolished prior to 1838 and remodelled and extended
in mid C19. Slate roof with hipped ends and raised eaves to front range with ashlar
stone rectangular end stacks. Gable end to rear wing on right with scantle slate
roof with circa early C17 moulded granite end stack and rendered side lateral stack
replacing early C17 moulded granite stack. Gable end to stair projection to rear
centre and gable end to extension on right hand rear wing.
Plan: House comprises front range of 2 room plan heated by end stacks with wide
central entrance hall. Stair in projection to rear of entrane hall. Wing of 1 room
and passage plan to rear of right hand room with further service range of 1 room plan
beyond. 2 service rooms in outshot to rear of left hand room.
The earlier plan is uncertain and the house was probably much larger and of
considerable status. The rear right hand wing contains several features of the early
C17 whilst the front range has been remodelled and its date is uncertain. The
tenvous evidence suggests that the front range may have been of 3 room plan, there
being signs of a blocked fireplace in the left hand side wall of the entrance hall.
The remains of an early C17 high quality plaster barrel vaulted ceiling in the rear
wing suggests that the first floor was used as a parlour or grand chamber. The use
of the ground floor is uncertain and the fireplace heated by the side lateral stack
has been blocked. The C17 end stack to the rear wing now serves the fireplace in the
circa C19 service range which has been added to the rear gable end. This may either
suggest that the house has been truncated and the service range is built on the site
of an earlier room which was served by the C17 stack or alternatively the stack was
originally used to heat the first floor grand chamber/parlour and has been remodelled
and reorientated. The stair to the rear of the entrance hall is probably of the
1840s and it may replace an earlier C18 stair. The service range to the rear of the
left hand room has roughly chamfered ceiling beams, which may have been reused.
Gilbert records in 1838 that the house had been partly demolished and converted into
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3 window front with 6 pane sashes on ground floor
and central entrance porch with 2 circa C18 granite Doric columns infilled with circa
C19 timber panels. Circa late C19 4-panel door within. Three 8-pane sashes on first
floor. Rear wing to right has C20 canted bay window on ground floor.
Interior: Front range remodelled in circa mid C19 with wide entrance hall and circa
1840s stair in projection to rear. Circa late C17 door to rear outshot to left of
stair with 6 raised and fielded panels and 2 circa C18 2-panel doors to first floor.
Rear wing on right with chamfered floor joists with straight cut stops.
Roof structure above front range replaced in circa late C19. At least 3 pieces of
timber, possibly purlins with chamfer and hollow straight cut stops, have been
inserted below the wall plate. These appear to be partly smoke-blackened and are
possibly reused roof timbers from an open hall although the evidence is very tenuous.
Above the rear wing are 4 raised cruck trusses with pronounced curved feet, morticed
apices, dovetailed notched and lap-jointed collars and butt purlins with complete
carpenters marks. There is the remains of a circa early C17 barrel vaulted ceiling
below with plaster on the gable end and a plaster cornice on 2 sides decorated with a
floral trail and strap work interspersed with undecorated shields.
To the rear of the house is a small courtyard with a single storey bake-house on left
of stone rubble with slate roof with gable ends and a large stone rubble stack. To
rear right is an open store with slate roof with gable ends supported on a line of
unmoulded granite piers. Small pigs house beyond of stone rubble with brick
dressings and slate roof with louvered ventilator in ridge.
The house, according to Gilbert, had a datestone 'FT 1500' and was mentioned by
Norden as the seat of Richard Michell. Seat of the younger branch of the Carminow
family until 1646 becoming the property of Sir James Smith in 1681.
Gilbert, D The Parochial History of Cornwall, 1838
Maclean, Sir John Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the
County of Cornwall, 1879
Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, 1873 reprinted
Listing NGR: SX0646879312
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings