This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.5936 / 50°35'36"N
Longitude: -4.7762 / 4°46'34"W
OS Eastings: 203601
OS Northings: 80775
OS Grid: SX036807
Mapcode National: GBR N0.CWH6
Mapcode Global: FRA 07WH.P28
Entry Name: Higher Hendra Farmhouse
Listing Date: 13 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1311524
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68584
Location: St. Teath, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: St. Teath
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Teath
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 08 SW
3/144 Higher Hendra Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Probably mid to late C17 extended in 1717 (datestone). Stone rubble.
Rag slate roof with hipped ends continued in cat-slide over rear outshot. Brick
shafts to end stacks and brick stack to outshot on rear left.
Plan: The house appears to have had originally a 2 room plan, heated by end stacks,
with a central cross or through passage. In circa early C18 the house was internally
partly remodelled (early C18 plaster cornices) and was probably extended across the
rear with an outshot to accommodate service rooms to right and left and a stair to
the rear of the passage, thereby forming a double depth plan. The datestone of 1717
on the front elevation probably refers to these alterations and extensions. In circa
mid C19 the front elevation was partly remodelled.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Irregular 4-window front with several straight joints and
blocked openings. The front elevation appears to have had a characteristic early C18
5-window front, probably with 12-pane sashes with thick glazing bars. Whilst the
timber lintels remain the openings have been altered, probably in the mid C19.
Ground floor with a wide 3-light casement in left and a double 16-pane hornless sash
on right. C19 6-panel door in centre with open porch; granite posts supporting slate
hood. First floor with four 12-pane sashes. Datestone 'W.R.A. 1717'.
Interior wide passage with circa early C18 moulded plaster cornice. Remains of dado
rail in left hand room and circa early C18 plaster cornice and rib ceiling moulding
in right hand room. Thick, originally external wall to rear of front rooms. Circa
mid C19 stair with turned newels.
Fine quality circa mid to late C17 roof, the principals halved, lap-jointed and
pegged at apices to form almost flush joints. The collars are lapped and pegged onto
the face of the principals and have possibly been added, replacing a tie-beam
Particularly attractive house with interesting C18 and C19 alterations.
Listing NGR: SX0360180775
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings