This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9893 / 51°59'21"N
Longitude: -0.6033 / 0°36'11"W
OS Eastings: 496005
OS Northings: 233238
OS Grid: SP960332
Mapcode National: GBR F2D.B91
Mapcode Global: VHFQY.H8FB
Entry Name: Bloomsbury Stud Stables and Adjoining Buildings Forming South East Part of Park Farm Complex
Listing Date: 23 January 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1311530
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38280
Location: Woburn, Central Bedfordshire, MK17
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Woburn
Built-Up Area: Woburn
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Woburn
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
SP 93 SE WOBURN WOBURN PARK
3/184 & 8/184
Bloomsbury Stud Stables
and adjoining buildings
23.1.61 forming SE part of Park
Stables and adjoining buildings forming SE part of Park Farm. This model farm
was designed 1795 (completed 1797) by Robert Salmon, resident architect and
'mechanist' to the estate, for Francis 5th Duke of Bedford. Red brick, the
main elevations in coursed ironstone. Shallow pitched slate roofs. Main
block is long low structure (approximately 50 metres long) continuing line of
main front of item 8/183, with various blocks adjoining to rear
(S). Rustic Neo-classical style. N (front elevation: symmetrical
arrangement. 2-storeyed central gable linked to 2 single-storeyed outer
gables by single-storeyed ranges. Gables project slightly. Central gable has
broad central recess, its semi-circular arch springing from first floor level.
Impost string course continuing across central recess is in line with eaves
cornices of flanking ranges. Central recess contains plank door with
sidelights, the latter being casements with ornamental geometric glazing bars
of c.1830. First floor has 2-light casement within recess arch, and clockface
above arch. Roof surmounted by timber pyramidal-roofed bell-cote. Flanking
single-storeyed ranges and outer gables formerly had doors and windows similar
to those in central gable recess, but now replaced by C20 double stable doors.
Deep eaves and verges with moulded timber cornices. The 5th Duke was deeply
interested in estate management and agricultural developments. Park Farm was
intended as a place to demonstrate new agricultural technology, and was the
setting for the annual Woburn Sheep Shearing, depicted in George Garrard's
1804 painting and engraving of the same subject.
Bedfordshire Record Office: R Box 818 bundle 18/19 ff, elevations of stables,
n.d.; J M Robinson, "Farming on a Princely Scale: Estate buildings of the 5th
and 6th Dukes of Bedford at Woburn 1787-1839", Architectural Review, November
1976, pp. 276-279.
Listing NGR: SP9600533238
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings