This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.5135 / 50°30'48"N
Longitude: -4.6763 / 4°40'34"W
OS Eastings: 210349
OS Northings: 71611
OS Grid: SX103716
Mapcode National: GBR N4.K4LP
Mapcode Global: FRA 173P.S0K
Entry Name: Trewardale
Listing Date: 6 June 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1311725
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67323
Location: Blisland, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: Blisland
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Blisland
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 17 SW
House. 1773 extended in 1839 and in later C19. Stuccoed stone rubble with
rusticated granite string. Slate roof with hipped ends and hipped ends to pavillion
wings to right and left. Rendered end stacks to main range.
Plan: Central range of 1773 of 2 room and cross passage plan with wide entrance hall
and stair in projection to rear. Circa early C19 kitchen range added on right; 1
room plan heated by axial stack shared with right hand room of earlier range.
Further kitchen range added to rear in later C19: The 1 room plan range added on
left of the late C18 house was rebuilt in 1932, contemporary with the rebuilding of
the dining room to rear.
Exterior: Imposing 3:7:2 window front with late C18 central range flanked by 2
pavillions. Central range of 2 storeys with symmetrical 7 window front. Rusticated
quoins and string course and parapet with central C19 timber porch with flat roof and
moulded cornice and early C19 12-pane hornless sashes with crown glass. To left,
wing rebuilt in 1930s; 2 storeys with 1:2 window front and horned sashes. To right
C19 range of 2 storeys with 2 window front; two 12-pane sashes on ground floor and
C20 PVC window and 3 over 6 pane sash to right on first.
Interior: Particularly complete interior with late C18 and mid C19 fittings. Wide
central entrance hall with late C18 open-well stair with ramped and wreathed rail and
stick balusters. Kitchen to front right with complete C19 fittings, range
manufactured by Martyn of Wadebridge. Chamfered axial ceiling beam possibly reused
from earlier building. Ornate plaster cornice in left hand room of earlier range
with Prince of Wales feathers in corners. Painted glass in front window with Robyn
Coat of Arms. Dining room partly rebuilt in 1932 with ornate plasterwork.
Former seat of Robyn family. Purchased by William Browne who married Honour Spry and
settled here in 1680 (qv datestone in gateway in garden to west of Trewardale).
Listing NGR: SX1034971611
Other nearby listed buildings