This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.203 / 54°12'10"N
Longitude: -2.5973 / 2°35'50"W
OS Eastings: 361136
OS Northings: 478749
OS Grid: SD611787
Mapcode National: GBR BM9V.H3
Mapcode Global: WH94P.2MG8
Entry Name: Market House
Listing Date: 22 March 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1311751
English Heritage Legacy ID: 75212
Location: Kirkby Lonsdale, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA6
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale
Built-Up Area: Kirkby Lonsdale
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale Team Ministry
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
5166 (south side)
SD 6178 NW 5/98 (Market House)
1854 by Miles Thompson of Kendal. Symmetrical faceted composition of nine bays which
turn the corner of Main Street and Market Street. Two storeys. Ashlar. Slate roof.
Plinth of rugged rustication, then chamfered rustication to ground floor. Two impost
bands. Cornice. Panel above cornice over central bay with date flanked by scrolls.
Ground floor consists of an arcade of which all arches are now windows except the
central arch, which has wrought iron gates. Glazing recent. First floor windows are
round headed and have sunk panels under. Sashed with all glazing bars. Market hall
runs back behind, rubble with blind arcade. Interior has some cast iron columns but
is much altered and subdivided.
Built by subscription as a Mechanics' Institute, library and county court as well as a
Listing NGR: SD6113678749
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings