This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4081 / 50°24'29"N
Longitude: -4.6525 / 4°39'9"W
OS Eastings: 211616
OS Northings: 59828
OS Grid: SX116598
Mapcode National: GBR N5.RQRH
Mapcode Global: FRA 174Z.38K
Entry Name: St Winnow School
Listing Date: 28 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1311836
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70873
Location: Lostwithiel, Cornwall, PL22
Civil Parish: Lostwithiel
Built-Up Area: Lostwithiel
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Winnow with St Nectan's Chapel
Church of England Diocese: Truro
LOSTWITHIEL POLSCOE ROAD, Lostwithiel
SX 15 NW
8/121 St Winnow School
School. Dated 1850, incorporating some earlier structure; with 2 classroom additions
of circa 1880 and 1890, some C20 alterations and additions. Includes one re-used
granite door head, probably of C17 origin. Said to have been a benefaction of the
Foster family of Lostwithiel. Random slatestone rubble with granite dressings.
Slate roofs with gable ends and raised coped verges, gable end stack to left end of
the main hall.
Main hall with porch; attached to rear right parallel to main range, a classroom
addition with gable end to rear. The left end of the main hall has a short rear
wing, of a former building, heated by a brick ridge stack.
2-storey hall of 5 bays; to left a 2-light granite casement, a gabled porch with
doorway with 4-centred hollow-chamfered arch, C20 double doors and inner 4-centred
arched doorway with original studded door. To right a 2-light and 3-light granite
casement with buttress between. To end right, wide 4-centred arched granite doorway,
with re-used head with 4-centred arch and leaves in spandrels, hollow-moulded jambs
and double studded doors; hood mould. To right gable end of the hall has 2-light
granite casement and breather above. The left gable end has diagonal buttresses and
large 3-light mullion and transom window, hollow-chamfered, with hood mould;
datestone above with inscription: St Winnow School Rebuilt AD 1850; blind breather
above. The rear wing of the main hall, to the left, has gable end and diagonal
buttress; the outer side has a doorway with re-used granite jambs, with C20 window
inserted; the rear gable end has 2-light granite casement at ground floor and 2
single lights with granite lintels at first floor.
The classroom attached to rear right extends to right beyond the main hall; there is
a C20 slatestone porch set in the angle to the main hall. The front has 3-light
chamfered granite casement, gable end has stack and single storey attached privy.
The rear has 3-light and 2-light chamfered granite casements.
Attached to the rear centre of the main hall, with gable end to rear, 2nd classroom
addition; the rear gable end has 2 tall chamfered granite mullion and transom windows
with breather at apex, raised coped verges and kneelers. C20 brick lean-to at outer
Interior The classrooms were formerly open to the roof, now all with suspended
Listing NGR: SX1161659828
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings