History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nos 22-28 with Entrance to Yard 30

A Grade II Listed Building in Kendal, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3286 / 54°19'43"N

Longitude: -2.746 / 2°44'45"W

OS Eastings: 351583

OS Northings: 492817

OS Grid: SD515928

Mapcode National: GBR 9L8D.92

Mapcode Global: WH82W.SGLG

Entry Name: Nos 22-28 with Entrance to Yard 30

Listing Date: 14 April 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1311878

English Heritage Legacy ID: 75446

Location: Kendal, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA9

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Kendal

Built-Up Area: Kendal

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Kendal St George

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Burneside

Listing Text

SD 5192 NE
8/104
14-4-69
KENDAL

MARKET PLACE
(North side)

Nos 22, 24, 26, & 28
with entrance to
Yard 30

G.V.
II

Shops with Working Men's Institute above. C17, largely rebuilt c1760 for Thomas
Ashburner as the New Play House; used as first Wesleyan Meeting House in Kendal
in late C18/early C19. Bought by Trustees of Working Men's Institute in 1843
and re-fronted for them in 1865 by Thompson & Webster. Restored 1979. Incised
stucco with cavetto eaves. Graduated slate roof with rendered chimney to east
end. 3 storeys, 4 bays. Recessed, arcaded C20 shop front. Stone steps with
wrought-iron handrail up to 1st floor glazed wooden lean-to porch over garage on
left. Panelled door to no 28 opens off north side of passage leading to Yard
30, paralleling recessed shop front on right. 3 sashes to 1st floor and 4
above, all with glazing bars. Rectangular frame between upper floors carries
large inscription: WORKING MEN'S INSTITUTE.


Listing NGR: SD5158392817

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.