History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Engine Shed

A Grade II Listed Building in Calstock, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5045 / 50°30'16"N

Longitude: -4.2214 / 4°13'17"W

OS Eastings: 242567

OS Northings: 69545

OS Grid: SX425695

Mapcode National: GBR NS.KFJF

Mapcode Global: FRA 271Q.P6L

Entry Name: Engine Shed

Listing Date: 16 May 1986

Last Amended: 19 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1311912

English Heritage Legacy ID: 60812

Location: Calstock, Cornwall, PL18

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Calstock

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Calstock

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Calstock

Listing Text

CALSTOCK THE BUTTS INCLINE RAILWAY DEPOT,
SX 46 NW
Calstock
4/62 Engine shed (formerly listed as
Butts Incline Station - engine
16.5.86 shed)
GV II
Engine shed at the depot of the incline railway. Circa 1872; restored late C20.
Stone rubble. Slate roof with gable ends.
Plan: Rectangular plan engine shed.
Exterior: Single storey engine shed, with two 16-pane sashes to the side and double
doors at the gable end. King post strut roof. No internal machinery.
The incline railway was built by the Tamar Coal, Manure and General Mercantile
Company in 1860 ; it was taken over by the East Cornwall Mineral Railway in 1872.
Beyond the incline station, the wagons were locomotive hauled as far as Kelly Bray,
to obtain loads from mines, quaries and brickworks in the Gunnislake, Higher
Dimenson, Kit Hill and Callington areas. Various sidings and depots were located
along the line. The line operated in this form until about 1908, when the branch
line to Bere Alston was completed by construction of the Viaduct at Calstock (q.v.).
Sources: Tamar Valley Project. Barton, D.B.: Mines and Mineral Railways of East
Cornwall and West Devon 1964.


Listing NGR: SX4369968622

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.