This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.0566 / 50°3'23"N
Longitude: -5.6621 / 5°39'43"W
OS Eastings: 137975
OS Northings: 23807
OS Grid: SW379238
Mapcode National: GBR DXDJ.P7X
Mapcode Global: VH05M.TV10
Entry Name: Little Trethewey Wesleyan Chapel
Listing Date: 15 December 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1311918
English Heritage Legacy ID: 69736
Location: St. Levan, Cornwall, TR19
Civil Parish: St. Levan
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Levan
Church of England Diocese: Truro
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 27/01/2012
SW 32 SE
Little Trethewey Wesleyan Chapel
Alternatively known as: Chygwidden Chapel, St Levan, LITTLE TRETHEWEY
Nonconformist (Wesleyan) chapel. 1868 datestone, extended to rear late C19.
MATERIALS: stuccoed walls with stucco detail; scantle slate roofs with projecting eaves, pedimented gable at front and gable end at rear; cast-iron ogee gutters.
PLAN: rectangular 4-bay aisle-less plan plus porch to right-hand side (entrance front) between first two bays and vestry between second and third bays; end gallery at the front end, organ loft and choir gallery to rear (ritual east end). Simple Italianate style.
EXTERIOR: unaltered single-storey elevations with round-arched openings with moulded architraves in recessed flat-headed keyed panels; all windows 4-pane horned sashes. 2-bay entrance front has simple entablature and moulded pediment with traceried oculus. Entrance front has window, porch, window, gable-ended vestry and window. Gable-ended porch has original pair of 3-panel doors with flush beaded panels within round-arched doorway. Left-hand return wall of vestry has 6-panel door and 4-pane horned sash.
INTERIOR: fine simple interior with moulded plaster ceiling cornice. Ramped end gallery carried on 2 Tuscan columns, the balustraded and pilastered gallery front with moulded cornice broken forward over the columns and with centre break for clock. The steep gallery staircase is a straight flight with closed string and stick balustrade at rear of gallery. Ritual east end has turned balustrade to front of organ loft.
FITTINGS include original pitch-pine box pews with doors, the ramped pews to gallery and immediately below with ramped ends; fine painted late C19 rostrum with turned balustrade over moulded cornice, the solid central panel broken forward, the lectern on consoles, open-string staircase right of rostrum with stick balustrade; bow-fronted communion rail overturned balustrade; piped organ with panelled front with consoles to moulded cornice.
The best representative example of this type of wayside chapel in Cornwall, built to a plan which could easily be extended. Its interest is enhanced by its group value as the principal item in the best wayside chapel group in Cornwall, with its manse, graveyard walls and schoolroom.
Sources: 1509 (Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England), An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels by Christopher Stell (RCHM).
Listing NGR: SW3797523807
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings