This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.4074 / 50°24'26"N
Longitude: -4.6689 / 4°40'7"W
OS Eastings: 210454
OS Northings: 59794
OS Grid: SX104597
Mapcode National: GBR N5.RLK5
Mapcode Global: FRA 173Z.8WH
Entry Name: Group of 4 Monuments in the Churchyard Against the East Wall of the Chancel of Church of St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 28 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1312039
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70814
Location: Lostwithiel, Cornwall, PL22
Civil Parish: Lostwithiel
Built-Up Area: Lostwithiel
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Lostwithiel
Church of England Diocese: Truro
LOSTWITHIEL CHURCH LANE, Lostwithiel
SX 15 NW
10/63 Group of 4 monuments in the
- churchyard against the east wall of
the chancel of Church of
Group of 4 monuments. C18. Slate. To William Arther, 1778; incised border with
carved cherub's head and wings, good lettering with valedictory quatrain.
To John Arthur, 1746; inscription panel has incised nowy head, with heart pierced by
arrows and hourglass in spandrels, central skull with crossed bones, good lettering.
To Joseph Sturtridge, 1778; egg and dart border to inscription with floral carving to
sides, frieze and pediment over, with carved hourglass and perspective skull and
crossed bones, and unusual combination of classical style and mediaeval emblems, with
Latin inscription and couplet: Praises on tombs are trifles vainly spent/ A man's
good name is his own monument. By James Potter.
To Joseph James, 1779; elaborate scrolled border with carved flowers, good lettering.
By James Potter.
Listing NGR: SX1045459794
Other nearby listed buildings