History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chelvey Court and Bridge to the East and 2 Outbuildings to the South West

A Grade II* Listed Building in Brockley, North Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4119 / 51°24'42"N

Longitude: -2.7699 / 2°46'11"W

OS Eastings: 346549

OS Northings: 168383

OS Grid: ST465683

Mapcode National: GBR JH.Q7Z4

Mapcode Global: VH7C8.YR0Z

Entry Name: Chelvey Court and Bridge to the East and 2 Outbuildings to the South West

Listing Date: 16 March 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1312236

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33445

Location: Brockley, North Somerset, BS48

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Brockley

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Brockley

Listing Text

ST 46 NE BROCKLEY CHELVEY (north side)

6/53 Chelvey Court and Bridge to the
east and 2 Outbuildings to the
G.V. south-west - -

II*

Large manor or court house. Circa 1618 to 1660 for Edward and John Tynte;
altered (the south part demolished) in 1805. Coursed rubble with freestone
dressings, pantiled roof, hipped at south end behind a coped parapet. L-plan
with north wing. 3 storeys and attics. East elevation. 4 bays: 2-light
casement windows, French windows on the ground floor; large central buttress
with off-sets (all 1805). To the left of the buttress on the ground floor is a
panelled door in a chamfered surround with a segmental head; moulded cornice on
brackets. On the first floor at the far left is a projecting, square ashlar
porch with an elaborate openwork balustrade; panelled door in moulded surround
with imposts and a depressed 4-centred head; frieze of roses; one twisted
column survives to the left; open segmental pediment with, in the tympanum, the
arms of John Tynte on a cartouche and flanked by bunches of fruit; the pediment
is flanked by tapering pilasters; all in a mannerist fashion. The porch is
reached by a single arched rubble bridge, approximately 3-4 yards long. North
elevation is irregular with 2 gables and a mixture of single, 2- and 3-light
casement windows with ovolo moulded mullions and under dripmoulds. The west
elevation is irregular of 5 bays with 2- and 3-light casement and cross windows
(some blocked) with ovolo moulded mullions and surrounds, under dripmoulds and
relieving arches. The outbuildings to the south-west consist of the remains of
a square, rubble tower with a single light window in a moulded surround; and an
adjoining building which has a chamfered doorway with a segmental head under a
dripstone, in the gable end. Interior. Throughout the building are fragments
of C17 panelling and doors. Ground floor: rear (west) living room (formerly a
kitchen) has a panelled fire surround with a 6-row spit rack above, against the
south wall is a bench table with a moulded cornice and resting on chamfered,
square uprights; the central front (east) room has a moulded ashlar fire surround
with a 4-centred head and an arched ashlar doorway with a keystone and imposts,
large studded and panelled door. First floor: the inner door is panelled and
has a moulded surround with a 4-centred head; the Blue- Room (centre east) has
grained and painted panelling with a bead and reel edging which retains traces
of gilding, large painted ashlar fireplace with a 4-centred head, a frieze of
strapwork, lozenges within squares and circles, a dentilled cornice on brackets
and an overmantel bearing the Tynte and Gorges arms; to the right (north) of the
Blue Room is a bedroom which has panelled surrounds to the windows, as in the
Blue Room but now overpainted, a central oval ceiling panel which is embellished
with foliage and painted and gilded,and an ashlar fireplace with a moulded
surround and a 4-centred head. The top floor has 2 further, similar fireplaces,
some panelled doors and a coved cornice in one room. Large open well staircase
rises through the 3 floors: turned balusters moulded closed string and moulded
handrails, panelled newel posts with ball finials; the ceiling has a large
plaster pendant ornamented with foliage and fruit and it is surrounded by a
ribbed rosette with flower and thistle motifs. (Country Life, 21.V.1910.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).


Listing NGR: ST4654768382

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.