History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Beetham Hall and Attached Outbuildings

A Grade II* Listed Building in Beetham, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2048 / 54°12'17"N

Longitude: -2.7692 / 2°46'9"W

OS Eastings: 349920

OS Northings: 479055

OS Grid: SD499790

Mapcode National: GBR 9M3T.8G

Mapcode Global: WH83G.FKJW

Entry Name: Beetham Hall and Attached Outbuildings

Listing Date: 21 November 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1312254

English Heritage Legacy ID: 76555

Location: Beetham, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA7

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Beetham

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Beetham St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Beetham

Listing Text

SD 4979 BEETHAM A6 (off West side)
Beetham

9/12 Beetham Hall and
attached outbuildings
21.11.52

G.V. II*

House; former Hall with crosswings, now barn, at right-angles to South, linked
to house by waggon shed and shelter shed with granary over, in line with house;
Chapel in extension to rear of Hall; waggon shed and barn attached to North of
house. Former Hall medieval with later alterations; house has initials and date
1693 (or possibly 1653) for Thomas Brabin, on lintel of blocked door to right of
TB
entrance; later alterations; outbuildings mostly C19. Limestone rubble with
limestone dressings; porch coursed squared limestone; graduated greenslate roof
with stone ridges. Corrugated roof to waggon shed, shelter shed and granary.
House: 2 storeys, 4 windows. Gabled off-centre porch with copings and kneelers
and 3 ball finials, initials TMB on plaque on gable, oak board door. Blocked
window with stone surround to right; to right of that casement inserted into
blocked doorway with embattled moulding to inscribed lintel. Later paired
windows to left of porch in dressed stone surround with chamfered cill and flat
faced mullion. 2-light windows above,in stepped stone surrounds with chamfered
mullions,have iron-framed casements to opening lights. 3 ridge chimneys,
central one with 3 joined round shafts on square stack, right with single round
shaft. Shelter shed: 4 round arches, right-hand one to passage narrower, all
with voussoirs. Waggon shed: board doors under canopy with replaced covering
and steps up to granary at right. Former Hall: extended to left (East) end with
later openings but retains window with stone mullions and hoodmould and labels
to pitching eye in remains of East wing. Traceried window with hoodmould and
labels; 3 further traceried windows and door with 2-centred head to rear.
Interior of house has oak staircase with closed string, turned balusters,
moulded handrail and square newels with ball terminals; early C18 fireplace in
front room; corbelled chimney base on former external wall in rear bedroom.
Hall has projecting turret staircase and original piscina in chapel. See RCHM
pp40-41.


Listing NGR: SD4992079055

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.