History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Public Wash House and Baths with Adjoining Public Convenience

A Grade II Listed Building in Kendal, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3267 / 54°19'36"N

Longitude: -2.7486 / 2°44'55"W

OS Eastings: 351409

OS Northings: 492608

OS Grid: SD514926

Mapcode National: GBR 9L7D.QR

Mapcode Global: WH82W.RHBX

Entry Name: Former Public Wash House and Baths with Adjoining Public Convenience

Listing Date: 30 January 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1312303

English Heritage Legacy ID: 75345

Location: Kendal, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA9

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Kendal

Built-Up Area: Kendal

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Kendal Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Burneside

Listing Text

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 14/03/2017


SD 5192 NW,
7/5

KENDAL,
ALL HALLOWS LANE (South side),
Former public wash-house and baths with adjoining public convenience

(Formerly listed as: Public wash-house and baths with adjoining public convenience)

II

Former public wash-houses and baths. 1864 by Miles Thompson. Swimming bath added when
Corporation took over in 1884; single-storey stone-built public convenience
added at east end probably at same time. Built on sloping site with same eaves
height throughout. Snecked rubble on plinth of rough-dressed blocks with
similar pilaster to west end. Gabled entrance block has hammer-dressed plinth,
end pilasters, and bands. Graduated slate roofs; blocking course and dentils to
wings, dormer to each side of entrance block roof. Tall, tapered, octagonal
boiler chimney to north-east corner; other stacks to ridge. All chimneys
corniced stone. Symmetrical 3-bay central entrance block has part-glazed door,
with radiating fanlight, and sash to either side above with blank panel between;
all openings in semicircular-headed surrounds. Five paired windows to each wing;
door has replaced 6th window to extreme right. Left-hand wing has lower storey
with door and four windows, all segment-headed. Drinking fountain in niche with
moulded sill to extreme left.

Provision of this public facility was a local
election issue in early 1860s; financed by public subscription. 1st public
building erected in Kendal for public institution.


Listing NGR: SD5140992608

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.