This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5785 / 54°34'42"N
Longitude: -1.235 / 1°14'6"W
OS Eastings: 449545
OS Northings: 520634
OS Grid: NZ495206
Mapcode National: GBR MHTH.FJ
Mapcode Global: WHD70.055W
Entry Name: 7, Zetland Road
Listing Date: 13 February 1963
Last Amended: 28 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1312336
English Heritage Legacy ID: 59814
Location: Middlesbrough, TS1
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Middlesbrough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Middlesbrough St Columba with St Paul
Church of England Diocese: York
MIDDLESBROUGH ZETLAND ROAD,
NZ 4920 NE south side.
8/97 No. 7 (Formerly
listed as offices
13.2.63 occupied by Dorman
Long & Co. Ltd.).
Offices, 1881/91 by Philip Webb, for Hugh Bell, ironmaster. Altered and
extended 1906 by George Jack. Sandstone ashlar; glazed brown brick
basement; rendered brick attic storey, with stone dressings; renewed
rendered brick stacks; renewed render at rear and renewed clay pantile roof.
Arts and Crafts classical style. 2 storeys, with basement and attic storey.
3-bay ground floor and attic, 7-bay first floor and basement. 9 steps up to
central renewed double doors, under mullioned-and-transomed fanlight.
Flanking renewed sash windows in splayed reveals, deeply recessed behind
round-headed opening and segmental archivolt springing from moulded corbels
on slender hexagonal pilasters with trumpet capitals. Narrow impost
strings; and spandrels with shields enriched with raised lettering : "B.
1891" and "B.B". Recessed canted windows, with 18-pane fixed lights and
similar pilasters at angles, in similar segment-headed openings. Stepped
sills. Dentilled band between floors. Renewed 15-pane sash windows, in
middle 5 bays on first floor, recessed behind colonnade with moulded bases
and waterleaf capitals, under continuous frieze and-projecting bracketed
cornice. 10-pane fixed-light windows in end bays. Renewed basement
windows, deeply recessed in stepped segment-vaulted surrounds with iron
grilles, flank the entrance steps. Concave gables, with moulded copings,
over each bay of attic storey. 2-light mullioned 8-pane sash windows,
recessed in round-headed openings with blind tympana; each window flanked by
buttresses with scrolled ramped tops. Rainwater openings with flat
surrounds, between bays and at ends. End and ridge stacks. 8-bay rear has
renewed segment-headed 15-pane sash windows, recessed in round-headed arcade
on ground floor. Altered windows in 5 left bays. Blind right end bay.
Similar sash windows on first floor, the 5th bay blind, under projecting
segmental arcade on corbel imposts. Dentilled sill band. Renewed sashes in
attic storey, the 4th bay blank; blocked oculus in right end bay. 9
segment-headed basement windows with iron grilles, 2 at left end boarded up.
6-panel door under blind segmental head at right end. Interior altered.
Webb's only office building; drawings in R.I.B.A. Library. Being converted
to flats and workshops at time of resurvey.
Listing NGR: NZ4954520634
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings