This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4633 / 51°27'47"N
Longitude: -2.6572 / 2°39'25"W
OS Eastings: 354442
OS Northings: 174018
OS Grid: ST544740
Mapcode National: GBR JN.M0B4
Mapcode Global: VH88L.WHM2
Entry Name: Holy Trinity Church
Listing Date: 11 October 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1312353
English Heritage Legacy ID: 33399
Location: Abbots Leigh, North Somerset, BS8
County: North Somerset
Civil Parish: Abbots Leigh
Built-Up Area: Abbots Leigh
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Abbots Leigh with Leigh Woods
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST 57 SW ABBOTS LEIGH CHURCH ROAD (north-west side)
4/3 Holy Trinity Church
Parish Church (Anglican). C15; restored and partially rebuilt after a fire in
1847-48. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, chancel and
vestry. Coursed rubble with freestone dressings; slate roof to nave, double
Roman tiles to chancel. All in a Perpendicular style. West tower: 3 stages
with diagonal buttresses; embattled parapet with plain pinnacles; polygonal
stair tower with spirelet projects at north-east corner; 2-light bell chamber
opening, 4-light west window; west door under hood mould with carved head stops.
North and south aisles: embattled parapets; 2-light windows with cusped heads to
tracery. Gabled projecting south porch. Chancel: 3-light east window as
south window. Interior. South doorway has moulded surround with fleurons.
3 bay north and south arcades: the south one has piers of engaged shafts
alternating with four hollows, 4-centred arches; the north one is C19. Plain
chancel arch. The tower arch has a chamfered outer order and a wave moulded
inner order. Mid C19 nave roof of arch-braced collar beam trusses and 3 tiers
of cusped windbraces; 6-light dormer windows. Early C19 ribbed roof to chancel.
Pulpit, C19 in a Perpendicular style. Font: C19, in a perpendicular style;
ashlar, octagonal. Monuments. Tower: Miles funeral hatchment; P.J. Miles,
died 1845, by E.H. Bailey, marble neo-classical monument with an inscribed plinth
on brackets, and 2 female mourners (one seated) which flank a draped vase on a
pedestal bearing the Miles arms. Nave: Francis Short, died 1853 by Tyley of
Bristol, urn on a pedestal and a female mourning figure. South aisle: Mark
Davis, died 1783, marble plaque with bowed ends and swan neck pediment; six-
poster late C16 ashlar tomb, thought-to be Lady Jane Norton (no figure) fluted
Ionic columns, fluted frieze with segmental pediment and arms. Chancel: Sir
George Norton, died 1715, marble baroque inscribed plaque flanked by Corinthian
columns which support a plain entablature, surmounted by concave sided pediment,
side volutes rest on a plinth which has portrait medallions. (N. Pevsner, The
Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST5444274018
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings