This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0347 / 52°2'5"N
Longitude: -0.2839 / 0°17'2"W
OS Eastings: 517812
OS Northings: 238759
OS Grid: TL178387
Mapcode National: GBR H4X.F14
Mapcode Global: VHGND.1470
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 31 October 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1312654
English Heritage Legacy ID: 37831
Location: Henlow, Central Bedfordshire, SG16
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Henlow
Built-Up Area: Henlow
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Henlow
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 1738 HENLOW CHURCH ROAD
31.10.66 Church of St Mary the
Parish church. C12 origins, C13 and C14 additions and alterations, extended
amd reworked C15. Some C19 reworking, including much of window tracery.
Coursed rubble, partly clunch, partly ironstone, with ashlar dressings.
Chancel, N vestry, nave, N aisle, S aisle, S porch, W Lower. Embattled
parapets to all parts except N aisle. Chancel: C12 origins, rebuilt C15.3-
light E window with 2-centred head. 2-light SE window under square head, C19
SW single light. S doorway with 4-centred head. NE window blocked by
vestry. 4-centred chancel arch. N vestry :C19, with door to E and 3-light
flat-headed N window. Nave:C12 origins, extended late C13. Late C13 N
arcade, originally 4 bays, part of W bay later replaced by W tower buttress.
3-bay S arcade, originally 2 C14 bays, extended to W late C15. Late C15
clerestory, with 3 windows to S and 2 to N, all of 2-lights. Clerestory
windows now give onto aisles, since raising of aisles in C19. N aisle: late
C13 origins, rebuilt C15. E window now looks onto vestry. 2 tall pointed
arched 3-light windows to E bays are C19. W bay has 2-light flat-headed
window, possibly re-used from elsewhere. S aisle: C14, extended westwards
late C15. 3-light C15 E window with pointed head. 2 C19 3-light 5 windows
in C15 style. Single light to W. S porch: late C19. Rendered, with small
single lights to sides, and pointed archway. W tower:C15. 3 stages, with
stepped angle buttresses. Stair turret rises above parapet to SW corner.
Bell-stage has pairs of pointed-arched 2-light windows to each side. Small
single lights to middle stage. Ground stage W elevation has 2-centred arched
doorway in square surround, surmounted by 3-light window with 4-centred head.
Interior: C19 roofs and font. C12 pillar piscina to S aisle. Good
collection late C17 and C16 wall monuments, all marble, including one to
George Edwards (d.1712) and one to Christopher Hallely (d.1688).
Listing NGR: TL1781238759
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings