This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3095 / 51°18'34"N
Longitude: -2.6322 / 2°37'55"W
OS Eastings: 356030
OS Northings: 156895
OS Grid: ST560568
Mapcode National: GBR JP.XLMN
Mapcode Global: VH89D.BCB0
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 21 September 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1312706
English Heritage Legacy ID: 32840
Location: West Harptree, Bath and North East Somerset, BS40
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: West Harptree
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 55 NE WEST HARPTREE BATH ROAD (north side)
5/100 Church of St. Mary
Anglican parish church. C12 west tower, C13 spire, C15 main body extensively
restored in 1865 by C.E. Giles of Taunton who added a new chancel. Random rubble
to tower and nave, squared and coursed sandstone to aisle and chancel, freestone
dressings, copings and quoins, ashlar parapets. Copper cladding to spire, double
Roman tile roofs. Nave, chancel, west tower, south aisle, south porch, north
vestry. Nave north wall has segmental headed C12 doorway with nook shafts and
cushion capitals and a 3-light east window of intersecting tracery and further
single cusped lights on north and south walls. Single stage tower with clasping
pilaster buttresses and plain square headed bell openings. Narrow slits of
almost military form to north and south faces, C19 pointed arched doorway to west
facade. String-course below bell openings and plain corbels to spire eaves.
Tall broach spire. South aisle has one 3-light Perpendicular window under flat
head, one 4-light traceried window under pointed head and a further, similar,
Perpendicular window of 3 lights. Perpendicular east window also of 3 lights.
Gabled south porch with triple chamfered pointed arched doorway, moulded eaves and
plain parapet. Stone benches on side walls inside, stairs to left hand to former
parvise which was lit by window on east wall. Triple chamfered Tudor arched
doorway with C19 2-leaf plank doors. Interior. Nave has a 3-bay Perpendicular
arcade giving onto south aisle with octagonal piers and moulded arches. Some
fine C15 corbel heads to C19 wagon roof. South aisle has a trefoil headed piscina
at south east corner and a lean-to C19 rafter roof. Tripartite C19 chancel arch,
wagon roof to chancel. Fittings. Nave has C19 font, pulpit and brass eagle
lectern. Chancel has 1890s stained glass in all 3 windows. (Pevsner, The
Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST5603056895
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings