History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary of Malmesbury

A Grade II* Listed Building in Aust, South Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6094 / 51°36'34"N

Longitude: -2.578 / 2°34'40"W

OS Eastings: 360068

OS Northings: 190226

OS Grid: ST600902

Mapcode National: GBR JR.9VLB

Mapcode Global: VH87W.8TG2

Entry Name: Church of St Mary of Malmesbury

Listing Date: 30 March 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1312787

English Heritage Legacy ID: 35207

Location: Aust, South Gloucestershire, BS35

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Aust

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Littleton-on-Severn

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Oldbury upon Severn

Listing Text


ST 69 SW AUST LITTLETON UPON SEVERN

4/105 Church of St. Mary of Malmesbury
30.3.60
G.V. II*

Parish church. C14, largely rebuilt in 1878 by Pope and Paul. Snecked rubble,
limestone dressings, plain and fish-scale tiled roofs, raised coped verges and
kneelers, cross finials to all except aisle and vestry gables. Nave, south
west tower, south aisle and porch, chancel and north vestry. Decorated style.
West front of tower has 2-light ogee headed cusped window in ashlar surround
with relieving arch over, single light pointed arched cusped window above, and
similar window with bell louvres at upper stage to east and west, similar single
light window to south, ground floor south has 2-light segmental headed window in
chamfered surround with relieving arch, plinth, quoins, weathered string and
buttress, saddleback roof. 4-bay nave has 2-light cusped west window in
chamfered surround above; north side has 3-light window to left and 2-light to
right, both with cusped trefoil heads, chamfered surround and hood mould, round
headed door between with impost blocks, chamfered surround and relieving arch,
door with decorative strap hinges, chimney; south side has similar 3-light
window to right and porch to left, pointed arched door in surround of plain
orders, hood mould with rosette stops and relieving arch, pointed arched trefoil
headed window to each side in chamfered surround, inner door with decorative
strap hinges in same surround. South aisle has 2-light window with cusped
trefoil heads, hood mould with rosette stops and relieving arch, pointed arched
lancet above at east end; chancel has 3-light window in same surround and
lancet above to east, south side has wider lancet, door with pointed segmental
head in plain chamfered surround and single light window with trefoil head and
hood mould; single storey vestry has door as on south chancel, single light
window and external stack. Interior: tower has pointed arches in plain
chamfered surround, 4-bay south arcade to nave, partly C14 and restored, with
compound piers with bell shaped capitals and moulded bases, roof of arched-
brace, collar and ridge purlin construction, brattished wall-plate, same roof
to south aisle and chancel, C15 piscina in south aisle, all windows in deep
splayed reveals; pointed chancel arch has 3 piers to each side with bell
capitals, chancel has north pointed segmental arch to vestry in chamfered
surround and higher pointed segmental arched door, small piscina set in cill of
south window. Fittings: Norman font in tower, bowl ornamented with large
chevrons in a spiral, on octagonal pillar with spurs at the corners; heraldic
tiles round the font brought from Thornbury Castle showing the arms and badges
of the Duke of Buckingham, early C16; remains of former box pews used as
panelling at east end of chancel; royal arms of Victoria on north nave wall;
slate monument on south nave wall to Anne Stephens, 1682 and other members of
the family; ledger stone in tower to Thomas Archard, 1580 and other members of
the family; painted stone and marble monument on north wall to John Allin,
1768. (Sources: Verey, D.: Buildings of England, Gloucestershire : The Vale
and The Forest of Dean 1970).


Listing NGR: ST6006890226

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.