This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1976 / 50°11'51"N
Longitude: -4.9732 / 4°58'23"W
OS Eastings: 187902
OS Northings: 37294
OS Grid: SW879372
Mapcode National: GBR ZL.0QWX
Mapcode Global: FRA 08GH.QBB
Entry Name: Trewithian House, Gate, Piers, Steps and Garden Walls to East
Listing Date: 30 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1312809
English Heritage Legacy ID: 63014
Location: Gerrans, Cornwall, TR2
Civil Parish: Gerrans
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Gerrans
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 83 NE GERRANS TREWITHIAN
3/50 Trewithian House, gate, piers,
- steps and garden walls to east
Country house, now 2 houses, gate piers, steps and garden walls to front. Circa 1700
remodelling of earlier house. Slatestone rubble walls, hipped asbestos slate roof
with brick chimney over hipped end of left wing, over external lateral breast to
right wing and over external rear lateral stack. Further chimney to rear of each
wing. U shaped plan with main stair off centre to right. 2 storeys. Symmetrical
central 3 window east front with flanking projecting wings of equal length. Central
doorway with 6-panel door and distyle Tuscan porch (probably C20 copy) with low
pitched triangular pediment. 24-pane sashes in openings with flat slatestone arches
to ground floor and wooden lintels to first floor. Ground floor left window has
original sash with heavy ovolo moulded glazing bars. Two window north wall of left
wing has 24-pane sashes with original sash to first floor left and first floor right
blocked. Further original sash with 18-panes to first floor left of east wall,
smaller 4-pane sash right. 3 window south wall has 16 sash to stairs left over small
gable porch with side entrance and 16-pane sash to first floor right. Right wing has
12-pane sash to ground floor middle and to ground floor east and over. Rear has
24-pane sash to main stair and wide 3-light casement to right.
Interior has original open well main stair and dog-leg second stair both with
concealed balusters. Clover leaf, torus moulded plaster ceiling circa 1700 survives
in parlour to ground floor of right wing. Contemporary bolection moulded panelling
was removed circa 1970's. Original pine roof structure with lapped and pegged
collars to principals rafters.
Deeds from C14.
Listing NGR: SW8790237294
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings