This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3012 / 51°18'4"N
Longitude: -2.6247 / 2°37'28"W
OS Eastings: 356547
OS Northings: 155974
OS Grid: ST565559
Mapcode National: GBR JP.Y8HT
Mapcode Global: VH89D.GK9B
Entry Name: Church of St Laurence
Listing Date: 21 September 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1312831
English Heritage Legacy ID: 32766
Location: East Harptree, Bath and North East Somerset, BS40
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: East Harptree
Built-Up Area: East Harptree
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 55 NE EAST HARPTREE C.P. CHURCH LANE (west side)
5/28 Church of St. Laurence
Parish church. Late C12, C13, C15 west tower with parapet restored 1633, late
C19 restoration. Coursed sandstone and limestone rubble to tower and south
porch, squared and coursed rubble stone to nave and chancel. Dressed stone
openings, quoins and copings. Concrete tiles to nave, slates to chancel.
Nave, chancel, north aisle, west tower, south porch. Nave south side has
3 Perpendicular windows: one 3-light under pointed head, another 3-light under
straight head and a 4-light with cusped tracery and hoodmould with lozenge stops.
Chancel south side has a single light Decorated window with pointed head and a
2-light Perpendicular window under straight head. Corbel with face under eaves.
East window is of 2 lights: C19 Perpendicular style. C19 lancet and C15
4-centred arched doorway on north side. North aisle has 3-light Perpendicular
windows a 4-central arched doorway and further 3-light window to east wall. Fine
animal gargoyles on string course below parapet. Tower of 3 stages with polygonal
north west corner stair turret with embattled parapet. Diagonal buttresses,
moulded string course to 1st stage, pierced and cusped quatrefoil parapet with
restoration plaque inset and corner crocketted pinnacles. West facade has Tudor
arched doorway with hoodmould, plank door, and above, a 3-light Perpendicular
window with hoodmould. Top 2 stages have 2-light windows with dripstones, those
to bell stage cusped with dense quatrefoil piercing. South porch has one 3-light
Perpendicular window on west side and restored segmental-headed doorway.
Transitional south door with segmental arch and 2 outer mouldings along jambs and
arch, one a roll, the other a crenellation with triangular merlons. Interior.
Nave has C13 six bay arcade with clustered shafts and moulded arches giving onto
north aisle. Triple chamfered tower arch. Piscina with ogee head on south wall
at chancel arch and above, blocked rood loft door. Squint connecting north aisle
with chancel. C13 moulded chancel arch, 2 piscinas with trilobed heads on chancel
south wall, aumbry with panelled Jacobean doors on north wall. Open C19 rafter
roof on C15 embattled wooden wall plate to nave, chancel has C19 wagon roof.
Fittings. Nave has Norman font, some C15 traceried bench ends, Jacobean panelling
under tower arch, polygonal Jacobean pulpit with Jacobean and later panelling on
south wall. Further Jacobean panelling across squint. Fine early C20 War
Memorial window to south wall and C19 stained glass to aisle windows. Late C19
wooden chancel screen. Chancel has fragments of medieval wall painting on reveal
of north window and above east window, late C19 painted censing angels either side
of seated Christ. Also late C19 stencilling and painted foliage on roof. C17
communion rails with turned balusters in 3 separated sections within C19 frames.
C19 stained glass in east window. Monument to Sir John Newton (died 1568) now in
south porch, formerly in church, re-erected 1883. Renaissance style. Effigy on
chest tomb with 2 panels of kneeling mourners: boys on the left, girls on the
right, beneath a canopy on 6 fluted Ionic columns carrying a tall entablature and
projecting moulded cornice with strapwork and classical motifs. Inscription
painted on rear wall in rhyming couplets. (Pevsner, Buildings of England).
Listing NGR: ST5654755974
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings