History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wardle Old Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wardle, Cheshire East

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1099 / 53°6'35"N

Longitude: -2.5813 / 2°34'52"W

OS Eastings: 361183

OS Northings: 357130

OS Grid: SJ611571

Mapcode National: GBR 7Q.83HW

Mapcode Global: WH9B3.B315

Entry Name: Wardle Old Hall

Listing Date: 10 June 1952

Last Amended: 3 August 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1312857

English Heritage Legacy ID: 56838

Location: Wardle, Cheshire East, CW5

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Wardle

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Bunbury St Boniface

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Calveley

Listing Text

SJ 65 NW WARDLE C.P. WARDLE

3/79 Wardle Old Hall

10 June 1952

GV
II*

Originally a farmhouse now a private house, early C18. Red brick in Flemish
Bond with slate roof. 2 storeys, 5 bays. Ogee moulded stone plinth. Giant
Doric pilasters to quoins and flanking the central entrance bay. The entrance
has a stone doorcase, eared top and bottom, a keystone with foliage motif, a
pulvinated frieze -and pediment with dentil cornice. This contains a four panel
door with lower panels raised and fielded and upper panels glazed. Slightly
recessed sashes with stone sills and sunk brick panel below, glazing bars and
gauged skewback flat heads. The centre bay, first floor, window has stone key
with grain motif. Moulded stone gutter cornice between the pilaster caps which
have triglyphs and guttae. The roof has lead hips and two symetrically placed
stacks with arch-headed sunken panels. There are built-up window openings in
the north and south gables. At the rear (east) there is a 2-storey, 2-bay wing
of red brick with roof of large slates; the ridge of this section is at main
house eaves level.
Interior: The rear wing has chamfered beams and exposed ceiling joists also
original roof trusses. There are wide three-panel doors in the main building
on unusual "H" hinges with a single long leg. Graded II* for the high quality
of the Baroque facade.


Listing NGR: SJ6118357130

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.