History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Nempnett Thrubwell, Bath and North East Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.337 / 51°20'13"N

Longitude: -2.6726 / 2°40'21"W

OS Eastings: 353240

OS Northings: 159986

OS Grid: ST532599

Mapcode National: GBR JM.W2F7

Mapcode Global: VH895.MNGD

Entry Name: Old Rectory

Listing Date: 4 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1312924

English Heritage Legacy ID: 32987

Location: Nempnett Thrubwell, Bath and North East Somerset, BS40

County: Bath and North East Somerset

Civil Parish: Nempnett Thrubwell

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Ubley

Listing Text

ST 55 NW NEMPNETT THRUBWELL C.P.

5/92 Old Rectory

II

Rectory, now house. Dated 1860 over front door, with some later alterations and
C20 repairs. Roughly coursed limestone rubble with stone dressings and
decorative brick banding, roof of shaped slates with raised coped verges, crestings
and gable stacks, outhouse with triple Roman tiled roof. Asymmetrical Gothic
style, in the manner of Butterfield's contemporary designs. Front of 2 storeys
and 4 bays; gable end to left has shallow external stack with buttress; 2nd bay
has gabled wooden porch with pierced bargeboards, pointed arched chamfered door
opening with date on banner above, pointed segmental-headed door with decorative
strap hinges, 8-pane sash above in chamfered architrave; 3rd and 4th bays have
ground floor 2-light window of 4 panes each light with slender shaft as mullion,
pointed arched limestone surround with brick banding and quatrefoil above; first
floor has two 8-pane sashes, to left with similar pointed arched head and
quatrefoil, steeply pointed gable above with brick banding and 2 quatrefoils;
paired brick banding across whole facade at mid-ground and first floor level.
Left return has gable end projecting to left with ground floor 3-light window with
4-pane sash each light, brick and limestone relieving arch, paired 8-pane sash
above with pointed arch above in brick and limestone, in gable a 2-light trefoil-
headed with brick relieving arch and paired limestone string courses, weathervane;
to right, ground floor has canted bay with plate-glass sashes, lowered as door to
left, similar paired 8-pane sashes at first floor without arch over; paired brick
and limestone string courses across whole facade. Right return has paired
strings returned, first floor right has 8-pane sash, trefoil-headed lancet in
gable end with brick relieving arch and string course, blind circle above with
brick relieving arch; attached to right, a single storey outhouse with triple
Roman tiled roof and garage doors. Rear has 2-storey block to left with pitched
roof with ground floor former 8-pane sash replaced by metal-framed light, 8-pane
sash at first floor; gabled rear wing has ground floor 3-pane sash with margin
glazing, brick and limestone pointed relieving arch, first floor has paired 8-pane
sash with similar double relieving arch, paired string course at ground and first
floor level, 4-pane lancet in gable end with pointed brick arch; to right,
3-pane light at ground floor and tall mullion and transom window at first floor
(stair light) with trefoil heads to lights and glazed circle in upper section,
brick relieving arch; external stack rising into gable to right with brick
pointed arch over recessed circle at top, paired string courses. Interior: rooms
to left have robust vine leaf and bunch of grapes cornices, front left has fine
fireplace with marble colonnettes to sides, and tiling; room to front right has
panelling said to have come from Bishop's Palace at Wells c.1870, narrower similar
cornice. Rectory formerly had canopied verandah at first floor, shown in
photograph c.1910. A fine example of an intact mid-Victorian rectory.


Listing NGR: ST5324059986

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.