This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6918 / 53°41'30"N
Longitude: -1.3109 / 1°18'39"W
OS Eastings: 445600
OS Northings: 421922
OS Grid: SE456219
Mapcode National: GBR MT8R.ZB
Mapcode Global: WHDC6.TGYP
Entry Name: Market Hall
Listing Date: 29 July 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1313248
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342685
Location: Wakefield, WF8
Electoral Ward/Division: Pontefract North
Built-Up Area: Pontefract
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Pontefract St Giles with St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
PONTEFRACT MARKET PLACE
SE 4521 NE
8/46 Market Hall
Market hall. Frontage 1859-60, designed by Joseph Wilson; hall etc c1960. Dressed
ashlar front with brick to rear, C20 part-glazed metal roof. Roughly 3-storey
height, 3 bays with wider taller central bay. Side bays have tall stepped Corinthian
pilasters on deep vermiculated bases with moulded plinths and cornices to outer
corners. Paired Corinthian, columns on similar bases flanking central bay.
Elaborate entablature over, with pulvinated frieze and moulded modillion cornice,
which projects over the pilasters and columns. Within this surround all the bays
have rusticated stonework and each has a tall semi-circular-headed opening, that
to centre set in slightly recessed stonework. Side bays have C20 doors to the base
of these openings and rendered panels above. Central bay has similar doors with
large glazed window above. Each opening has radiating voussoirs and carved keystone,
that to left with brace of game birds, that to right with a dead hog and that to
centre with massive bull's head with a ring through its nose. Above the entablature
side bays have plain blocking course, remains of former balustrade to left side.
Central bay has tall parapet with large semi-circular moulded arch and massive
bull's head keystone; deeply recessed panel within, decorated with Borough arms.
Interior, all c1960 and not of special interest. The original 1860 building was
opened by Lord Palmerston.
Listing NGR: SE4560021921
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings