This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6961 / 53°41'45"N
Longitude: -1.3008 / 1°18'2"W
OS Eastings: 446266
OS Northings: 422411
OS Grid: SE462224
Mapcode National: GBR MTCP.5S
Mapcode Global: WHDC6.ZCRB
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 29 July 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1313269
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342699
Location: Wakefield, WF8
Electoral Ward/Division: Pontefract North
Built-Up Area: Pontefract
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Pontefract All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
PONTEFRACT SOUTH BAILEYGATE
SE 4622 SW
29.7.50 Church of All Saints
Church, partly ruinous. C14 and C15 with alterations of 1838 and late 1960s.
C19 work by Chantrell, C20 work by G G Pace. Ashlar sandstone, partly rendered,
C20 brick; Welsh slate roofs. Cruciform plan: ruined aisled nave with north
and south porches and C20 inserted nave; north and south transepts restored in
C19; crossing tower with octagon; ruined aisled chancel with C19 inserted sanctuary.
Decorated and Perpendicualr style. South aisle of nave: 4 bays; in 2nd bay,
porch: buttresses flank continously-moulded pointed-arched opening with hoodmould;
offset half-way up level of doorway; coping to flat roof; to 1st bay, buttress
to left and pointed window opening; bays to right of porch have been lost. Nave
south clerestorey: 4 window of paired trefoiled lights with continuous hoodmould.
West end of nave: buttresses flank wide four-centred arched doorway which breaks
up into sill of large, formerly Perpendicular, window, formerly with hoodmould;
2-light opening to roof space. North nave clerestorey: as south. North nave
aisle: in 2nd bay from west, 2 storey porch, not projecting much from wall, with
double-chamfered continuously-moulded pointed-arched doorway, barrel-vaulted
portal and continuously-moulded inner doorway with rolls to pointed arch; single
light on first floor; window flanked by stepped buttresses. North transept:
rendered, north side: stepped buttresses flank pointed doorway with hoodmould;
above 3-light mullioned and transomed pointed window. South transept: early
019; on south side, stepped buttresses flank pointed doorway with hoodmould,
above, 5-light Perpendicular window; two 2-light windows east and west. Central
tower: each side of belfry stage has paired windows, each of 2 trefoiled lights,
with quatrefoil in pointed arch above and hoodmoulds, the openings being deeply
undercut; pierced parapet with corner pinnacles; octagon has smaller paired tre-
foiled lights with hoodmould to cardinal points; crenellated parapet above ban,
1 pinnacle to north; west face of belfry has, at base of openings, clock face
in ogee crocketed canopy, about 2 blind quatrefoils, flanked by blind gablets;
clock face to east. Chancel, 3 bays: south chapel has central doorway flanked
by windows with reticulated tracery, east window was Perpendicular; little remains
of the rest of the chancel, although a fragment of the south arcade western respond
seems to be C12.
Interior: Nave has arcades with octagonal piers and double-chamfered pointed
arches; on inside of north wall, tracery of large Perpendicular window, probably
from the west window; in 2 eastern bays, brick C20 inserted nave with 5 medieval
heads set hight up, and with board-marked concrete eaves; inside it are Victorian
pews; in south chancel aisle, ogee-headed tomb niche; north wall also has tomb
recess, chancel has C19 inserted sanctuary of canted plan, inside which is blind
arcading below windows.
Listing NGR: SE4626622411
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings