This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7018 / 53°42'6"N
Longitude: -1.2936 / 1°17'36"W
OS Eastings: 446732
OS Northings: 423050
OS Grid: SE467230
Mapcode National: GBR MTDM.QR
Mapcode Global: WHDC7.368Y
Entry Name: Dandy Mill
Listing Date: 15 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1313271
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342704
Location: Wakefield, WF8
Electoral Ward/Division: Pontefract North
Built-Up Area: Pontefract
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Pontefract All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
PONTEFRACT WATER LANE
SE 42 SE
3/65 Dandy Mill
Windmill; tower now farm store. Dated 1819. For Boreas Union Mill Company.
Bitumened red brick in English garden wall bond, 6-storey tower tapering inwards
and set on steeply-battered base; the top 10 courses rebuilt in stretcher bond.
Most openings are aligned vertically and have segmental header brick arches.
Original windows have projecting stone sills and the openings are almost square
in shape. South side has ground-floor doorway; first- and second-floor openings,
formerly doorways since then partly-blocked to form windows; no fourth- or fifth-
floor openings. West side: first-floor window has ashlar lintel inscribed "BOREAS
Union Mill 1819". East side ground-floor doorway.
Interior: floors supported on a single beam but floors damaged when machinery
removed during World War II. The sails and cap had been removed before that,
as the mill worked latterly on a gas turbine. This is now the only remaining
windmill in Pontefract, but once there were several. The original name, alluding
to the north wind, also indicated an early farmers' co-operative concern, typical
of the early 19th century, aimed at breaking the old manorial monopoly of milling.
There is no sign of a balcony
Listing NGR: SE4673223050
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings